Please ID this unwanted addition to my yard

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by SandyS, Mar 19, 2012.

1. SandyS

SandyS Member

My yard (front, back and sides) is polluted with this species. The "flower" stems are 8 inches and higher. The leaves on the ground below are shaped like a club (from a deck of playing cards). Some of those "club leaves" are turning yellow. I've never, ever seen this "weed" in my yard...not in the 40 years I've lived here. Any advice in identifying and/or eliminating this weed would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    SandyS

Attached Files:

2. SandyS

SandyS Member

Could it be bittercress?

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I was thinking Cardamine when I first looked at the photo, but I don't know the genus that well. They are common weeds, so a likely candidate. Closer photo would help with ID.

4. SandyS

SandyS Member

I'll get my Canon out and put the macro lens on it so I can get a close up tomorrow. I was hoping I'd get lucky just using my little P&S.

Thank you.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hairy Bitter-cress Cardamine hirsuta.

6. SandyS

SandyS Member

7. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

It's easy to hand weed these; they have shallow roots. Better be quick though. The seeds shoot everywhere if you've let the plants go... And even a tiny plant will produce seeds. Get busy!

8. SandyS

SandyS Member

Would that I could. I'm disabled and cannot bend over like that. I did read articles on this weed after I identified it and knew it had a shallow root system. However, I'm at the mercy of a yard maintenance company that will be here "as soon as they can" fit me into "the schedule". The fellow who cuts my grass will probably be here before the men are here to do spring maintenance and he would not pull anything up by hand.

Thanks for your input.

Sandy

9. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

The plants are annuals. If the tops get mowed off before seeds pop, you'll be okay. If not, you'll have more plants in the paving cracks. Can you use a hoe as you back up along the edge? That would work.