Identification: Two handsome fungi

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Lysichiton, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Can anyone give me IDs on the two fungi in the pics. They are both growing in pure cedar mill waste in Langley bog. the pics were taken in the last couple of days. The first one sure looks like a Boletus to me, but which species? The second has pores not gills as well, any ideas?

TIA gb

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi GB,

While I'm happy I have the NA Boletes book at home to consult, I've found keying out bolete specimens challenging.

Some typical Boletus and Suillus (Slippery Jack) characters that are helpful in ID'ing include; looking for the glandular dots near the top of the stem of many Suillus , cutting or bruising the flesh to look for colour changes, the colour of the pores/tubes/sponge of the underside, reticulations on the stem, the nearby tree species (some species are very tree specific) and separability of the cap cuticle.

Your first photo looks like a Boletus I agree, and the second for some reason makes me think it is a Suillus. Any particular conifer species dominating the area nearby?

hope that is helpful,
    -frog

3. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Thanks frog. You're telling me to use my powers of observation & my head, & you're right. Not being a committed namer-of-fungi, I get lazy & assume you accomplished mycophiles are all-knowing.
    These guys are in an area associated with a park, where I have an active interest in what goes on.
    FYI there are no trees within about 10m of these specimens. Beyond that there are young Pinus contorta & more mature Tsuga heterophylla. The medium is pure cedar chips, which is old mill waste from the '70s.

gb.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well it is true that sometimes a mushroom will be immediately recognized from a photo!

But yah in this case, since it's apparently not ringing a bell with anyone in the forum, and though I'm totally not trying to give you a hard time <grin>, more info needed.

If that one IS a Suillus though, those two trees should narrow down the species options!

cheers
    -frog