In The Garden: Help with tree/shrub identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by BroomBasher, Mar 24, 2012.

1. BroomBasher

BroomBasher Member

I'm in the process of tearing out a water-hungry exotic landscape and replacing it with California natives. I've come to the point where it's time to remove this bush, but something tells me this might be a local native. It seems like some sort of Rhamnus, but not exactly. Notice how some of the leaves have spines on the margin and the others do not. The leaves are arranged alternately on the branch and the fruits contain a single seed that is almost as large as the fruit. The plant is very pale as if it was iron-deficient, and it's in full sun. One arborist referred to it as a "Catalina Cherry," but I'm almost certain it's not a Prunus ilicifolia. I'm hoping someone here can assist.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. BroomBasher

BroomBasher Member

Thanks for the assist. It looks like that might be it, but can 'Bright 'N 'Tight' have actual spines on the margins? That's what I see here. Of course, it could be a hybrid of a hybrid or some such. I won't feel as bad tearing it out if it's not a native to the area.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. BroomBasher

BroomBasher Member

I'm pretty sure that's it. I broke a stem and it does smell like Maraschino cherries as described by some. I thought it was a Prunus and went through every one of them, but not cultivars. Thanks again.

I think it might be a 'Cherry Ruffles' cultivar because the leaves are pretty wavy on many branches.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I am certain it is Carolina cherry laurel and not on your menu.