For some 'Accolade', a schedule is not to be messed with?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, Mar 5, 2015.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I've already complained in a West End Neighbourhood Blog posting that there are 'Accolade' not open that are within a block of others of that cultivar in full bloom. Here are two examples. 'Accolade' have traditionally been the second cultivar to open, not counting 'Autumnalis Rosea'. So they follow 'Whitcomb' within a couple of weeks. Generally, 'Accolade' are fully open now everywhere, as the early cultivars have been three weeks ahead of normal this year.

These two trees are on Pacific Street at Burrard, facing south, partly against a wall, in a large sort of planter. They are attractive, healthy-looking trees, and you can see, they have a few flowers open; they have lots of whole flowers on the ground, hardly any separate petals on the ground. These trees are not 10% open. This is the West End, the warmest, earliest-blooming neighbourhood in the city.
    20150305_PacificBurrard_Accolade_Cutler_P1160097.JPG 20150305_PacificBurrard_Accolade_Cutler_P1160100.JPG 20150305_PacificBurrard_Accolade_Cutler_P1160112.JPG 20150305_PacificBurrard_Accolade_Cutler_P1160109.JPG
    20150305_PacificBurrard_Accolade_Cutler_P1160120.jpg 20150305_PacificBurrard_Accolade_Cutler_P1160127.jpg

Here, a block away, admittedly down a steep hill, are the 'Accolade' trees across from the Aquatic Centre, which Sue Wagner said were in bloom on February 19 (I said the 21st).
    20150305_BeachThurlow_Accolade_Cutler_P1160140.JPG 20150305_BeachThurlow_Accolade_Cutler_P1160135.jpg 20150305_BeachThurlow_Accolade_Cutler_P1160144.jpg 20150305_BeachThurlow_Accolade_Cutler_P1160137.jpg

The other example is in Mount Pleasant, on 15th east of Columbia, north side of the street in a back yard. From the street, there is no indication that this is in bloom, because really, it's not in bloom. There are no flowers or petals on the ground.
    20150305_179W15thColumbia_Accolade_Cutler_P1160223.JPG 20150305_179W15thColumbia_Accolade_Cutler_P1160222.JPG 20150305_179W15thColumbia_Accolade_Cutler_P1160206.JPG 20150305_179W15thColumbia_Accolade_Cutler_P1160231.JPG
    20150305_179W15thColumbia_Accolade_Cutler_P1160212.jpg 20150305_179W15thColumbia_Accolade_Cutler_P1160214.JPG

Five blocks away, at Vancouver City Hall, on the north side of the building, are these 'Accolade', at peak bloom.
    20150305_CityHall_Accolade_Cutler_P1160178.JPG 20150305_CityHall_Accolade_Cutler_P1160188.JPG

I was wondering for a bit, with blooming dates so much later than others, whether there might be some other cultivar in the mix, but 1) I can't find anything in the running, and 2) the early and late blooming trees look ever so similar to each other. The late bloomers do seem to be low-grafted. Would that be enough to influence them to stick to their original blooming schedules?

2. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hi, Wendy. I saw these trees on the thread of West End this year, but is this the first time to be reported? Or how were they last year?
    For me they look like Accolade very much and I can’t think of any other cherries so similar to Accolade. In Japan there are more kinds of early blooming cherries, but most of them are single flowers like Kan-zakura, Okan-zakura and Kwazu-zakura.

If they are Accolade, then why do they bloom later than other Accolade? I have two theories.

I haven’t seen Accolade in Tokyo, but you know, Accolade blooms twice a year in Japan. It means Accolade can change blooming custom easily like Autumnalis. (My new Bonsai Autumnalis is very different from my old one. The old one bloomed at least a few flowers every month except May and June. But the new one stopped blooming in the middle of December and didn’t have any flowers during winter.) So these Accolade might be something like branch change and bloom a little different time.

I have another theory. I can remember that once I posted Kanzan 50% bloom on 41st when all others were finishing. I visited there the next year. But I couldn’t find the tree because all the Kanzan around there were blooming same time. Now I have a hypothesis that there was a construction and the lawn around the base of the tree were covered with bricks and building materials. So roots couldn’t get enough sunshine and the tree couldn’t feel warm spring air until those things were moved out.
    When I think about these Accolade, I notice that they are planted in a large planter. It means roots might suffer coldness more than deep in the soil. So they starts later than other Accolade around.

3. wcutler

Thanks, Mariko. I did not know that 'Accolade' would bloom twice a year. Your second explanation does make a lot of sense in this case.

It seems a little funny, though, in other cases when I rule out an ID for some trees because that kind of tree won't been in bloom for another two weeks, or has been out of bloom for two weeks, but in this case, I just accept the different timing but decide that it looks so similar it has to be the same. It is helpful to have confirmation that there isn't really anything else in the running for these ones.

4. eteinindia

Wendy, I found more early blooming cherries on the list of Konohana-sakuya.
    You might know, but I post here. At least you can see pictures.

By blooming time (earlier than Somei-yoshino)
    In japan Somei-yoshino usually blooms at the end of March to Begining of April.

5. wcutler

Thanks, Mariko. Does Accolade have another name in Japan? Is it one of the ones on that list?

6. eteinindia

I'm sorry I didn't check about Accolade.
    There's no other name for Accolade (just spelled as Akoredo for Japanese pronunciation), but it is classified into 'two-season blooming or autumn and winter blooming'.
    Also spring blooming is the same time as Somei-yoshino.