Eremurus Stenophyllus

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by doralh, May 5, 2005.

1. doralh

doralh Member

Hi. I'm new here so if I make some mistakes I hope someone will correct me.

Can anyone tell me if there is a variety of Eremurus Stenophyllus that is cold hardy to Zone 2? I just bought one from a local greenhouse and the tag says that it is cold hardy to Zone 2, but everything I can find on the internet says that Eremurus Stenophyllus is hardy to Zone 4 at best. I'm in Zone 3a. Is it likely that this plant could be successful in my zone? Thanks for any help.

The common name is Foxtail Lily.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  2. plantluver

plantluver Member

Hello doralh,
    Eremurus stenophyllus is hardy in zones 5-9 according to my resource " Heritage Perennials Perennial Gardening Guide" written by John M. Valleau. The book also suggests that even in this range it is prone to frost damage and should be protected. I think possibly if you had a "micro-climate" somewhere on your property maybe a spot that is protected from the wind and close to a cement or bricked porch area that tends to hold heat in the winter and you heavily mulched before the first frost you could possible have some success. Unfortunately some of our winters are colder that others, so you may have some luck until we get hit with an unusually cold one. I don't know if this plant can be wintered indoors you might want to check that out too. I live in zone 6 where Gladiolus is supposed to be a summer bulb that must be dug up before the frost, however in my "micro-climat" front porch garden I have Gladiolus that have grown in the same spot 4 years in a row withought being removed from the ground for the winter! Good luck.
    Regards, plantluver