Identification: Just getting started!

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Nocturne, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Nocturne

Nocturne Member

Hi
    I'm just getting started in plant id, living in the seattle area. I've got myself a plant guidebook, and am having fun looking things up. I'm a also a vege gardener, so will look here for tips.

I've been a diver here in the northwest, and always amazed at the diversity we have in our waters.... I can spend hours looking at and id'ing little critters. I'm now beginning to take my learning of the appreciation of the little things out of the sea and into our forests and wetlands.

Anyway, here's my first stumper, couldn't find this in the id books. Is it a liverwort, lichen, I don't know... any ideas appreciated.

DSC_0174.JPG

Thanks!
    -Eric

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Nocturne

Nocturne Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

A lichen as a love charm. I guess that makes sens... get it, lichen? :) Did you ever figure out how to use it? :)

Are they rare?

Thanks!
    -Eric

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very beautiful critter!

Some Peltigera species are fairly common and others are rare. Generally there are characters to be examined, some need to be done with the specimen in hand, to determine species.

The orange colour of the fruiting bodies narrows down your choice of species, and amongst those species, regionally common representatives are P. membranacea and P. neopolydactyla (love that name!).

And it says nice things about the air quality of the area you found it in.

-frog