Mutant Tulip?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by snoqwing, May 8, 2009.

1. snoqwing

snoqwing Member

Hi!

I have found a strange tulip in my garden and I was wondering if someone could explain what happened. I'm in zone 5b.

In the fall of 2007 I bought a bag of 40 tulips labeled as 'Golden Oxford'. In Spring 2008 they turned out to be bright yellow, with a thin red line on the edges (as expected). But most of them had black spots in the centre and some did not (I think Golden Oxford is supposed to have black spots). Also, one tulip had a lot more red on the petals than the others.

Even though I did not pull them or cut the leaves, this year only one of them has survived (in the same spot as the tulip with more red from last year)... and it's a completely different flower! It's smaller, bright pink at the top and paler at the bottom with a yellow and white centre (no black spots) . It looks great!

So I'm wondering if the tulip from last year could have mutated into this different colour and shape? Or if an animal brought it in my garden?

And if I wanted to make sure it survives (and maybe even multiply it!) what should I do? I will be moving to a new house in about 6 weeks. I was thinking to wait as long as possible and dig the bulb, but then what do I do with it? I have read that I should keep it in a cool and dark place (basement?) and plant it again in the fall. Is this the best solution?

thank you!

Marie-Eve

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In case a virus is involved I would leave it behind. Pink one does appear to have some streaking.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. snoqwing

snoqwing Member

Thank you so much for the quick answers! I will probably search in my catalogues for healthy tulips with similar colours instead of bringing this one to the new house!

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years