West End / Stanley Park

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Jan 31, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

First posting in 2008

Here's a pre-season report from the semi-tropical west end. Autumnalis Rosea trees have been quite properly covered with their very subtle blossoms since November. Prime locations are 1000 block Pacific, Thurlow lane between Burnaby and Harwood, and Nicola mini-park north of Davie.
    20080124_StnlyPk_AutumnalisRosea_Cutler_1543.jpg 20080129_Thurlow_AutumnalisRosea_Cutler1627.jpg

There have also been scattered blooms on Whitcomb and Accolade trees since at least December. If you're standing under them, the blossoms are easy to see, but if you drive by, there's no splash of colour yet to catch your attention. Whitcombs are at Nicola mini-park, 1200 block Nelson, and this one at the Aquatic Centre.
    20080129_AqCtr_Whitcomb_Cutler___1664c.jpg

Accolades are at Chilco minipark at Comox, and two at the Aquatic Centre next to the Whitcomb.
    20080113_AqCtr_Cutler_1169.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: West End, Stanley Park

Semi-tropical? Then what's with the snow?

3. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - Whitcombs

Am I impatient or what? It's been three weeks and the Whitcombs are still not in full bloom, but they are halfway there, and with this nice weather, maybe it won't be long now. Here's the one at the Aquatic Centre:
    20080221_AqCtr_Whitcomb_Cutler_2062.jpg

These are on Nelson, at Bute and at Jervis:
    20080222_NelsonBute_Whitcomb_Cutler_2164 c.jpg 20080222_NelsonJervis_Cutler_2207.jpg

And these two trees are in Nicola mini-park between Pendrell and Davie. There is a third Whitcomb not visible off to the left. You can also see Autumnalis Rosea in the photo:
    20080222_Nicola_Whitcomb_Cutler_2215.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. wcutler

*Finished - Whitcomb - West End, Haro Park Manor at Haro and Bute

[Edited by wcutler 2010aug22:] These trees are no longer there.

[This festival favourite is now in bloom.]

Whitcomb, in the West End neighborhood, at Haro Park Manor at Haro and Bute Sts, will be number 2 on the VCBF map. It looks like this will be the first favourite to bloom, but it's behind all the other Whitcombs in the West End and is not yet showing enough colour to show you the tree. Here's a blossom, though.
    02Whitcomb-WestEnd-Haro2.gif

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  5. wcutler

Re: Whitcomb - West End

The tree is getting there - two trees actually. Here's February 22, 2008:

Attached Files:

6. sherlock007

sherlock007 Member

Re: Whitcomb - West End

Absolutely stunning. I am in Pitt Meadows, and well, I have some wee, early spring croci, and some snowdrops. My wintersweet is blooming, but you guys are always 2+ weeks ahead of us!

7. wcutler

Here are 2 1/2 trees at Nicola and Beach - one of them has a single limb, which the West End seems to specialize in, as there's another just like that on Nelson.
    20080224_NicolaBeach_Whitcomb_CUtler_2255.jpg 20080224_NicolaBeach_Whitcomb_Cutler_2249.jpg

The Whitcomb at Haro Park Manor at Haro and Bute Sts is reported in posting #12

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  8. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - full list of trees

I'm attaching the spreadsheets that my co-scout and I did last year, with every cherry we could find in the West End, whose range is Burrard St to Stanley Park, Georgia St to English Bay. There's lots of info missing, some of it is surely wrong, and the photo names are only useful to us.

Attached Files:

9. Anne Carten

Anne Carten Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Thanks Wendy for posting your spreadsheets. It took me a while to figure out how the forums work. I am amazed at the rich details that have been provided!

10. Mayling Chang

Mayling Chang Active Member

Thanks Wendy, you provided an informative spreadsheet for a new comer to follow.

11. wcutler

These Whitcombs are at the back of a highrise, at Pendrell and Gilford. I was allowed in to get the first photo and the closeup.
    20080228_PendrellGilford_Whitcomb_Cutler_2364.jpg 20080228_PendrellGilford_Whitcomb_Cutler_2368.jpg 20080228_PendrellGilford_Whitcomb_Cutler_2372.jpg

These are updates of Nelson at Bute, Nicola Park at Pendrell, and Nicola at Beach.
    20080228_NelsonBute_Whitcomb_Cutler_2323.jpg 20080228_Nicola_Whitcomb_Cutler_2293.jpg 20080228_NicolaBeach_Whitcomb_Cutler_2361.jpg

12. wcutler

Re: *POSTED - Whitcomb - West End

These trees at Haro Park Manor on Haro at Bute are fully out now.

[Edited by wcutler 2010aug20]: these trees are fully gone now. There's a 'Kanzan' still there, but the 'Whitcomb' were removed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  13. sherlock007

sherlock007 Member

Re: *POSTED - Whitcomb - West End

Very beautiful, you guys are lucky to see such a display. We are a good 2 weeks behind out here in Pitt Meadows. I am immensely enjoying my crocuses and snowdrops.

14. wcutler

* Finished - Accolade - West End at Chilco mini-park Comox-Nelson

There are Accolades at the end of the park on Comox, all through the half-block mini-park, and along the street up to Nelson. They're showing colour now, but the area will look a lot more interesting in about a week.
    05Accolade-WestEnd.gif

Attached Files:

15. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - Accolades

Finally, something new! Accolades are definitely worth a visit at the Aquatic Centre and across the street. On the Aquatic Centre side, the left one of the three trees (easternmost tree) is a Whitcomb, something I didn't discover until this year.

The Accolades at Chilco min-park are about a week behind these at the Aquatic Centre.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  16. wcutler

Re: Accolade - West End at Chilco mini-park Comox-Nelson

These trees are worth a look now. They're still not at peak bloom, but I'm posting them on the VCBF website.

Attached Files:

17. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - Prunus pendula 'Pendula' at Alexandra Park

The Prunus pendula 'Pendula' at Alexandra Park, Beach Ave at Bidwell, is only days away from full bloom. This photo is from March 17, 2008.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  18. Ron B

Your pictures appear to show a grafted, darker form (such as Prunus pendula 'Park Weeping'* or P. pendula 'Pendula Rubra') resembling those sold in nurseries (as weeping cultivars of P. x subhirtella) - rather than a P. pendula seedling.

*Cultivar name no longer used by the trade

19. wcutler

* Finished - Akebonos - West End, Alberni near Burrard in Grosvenor Plaza

These Akebonos are blooming a bit ahead of the ones at Burrard Station - it's a nice display, and they'll be out in time for the Cherry Jam on March 25, but of course, the Jam is not at this location, it's at a much larger venue two blocks over, where only a few blossoms are out on March 18.
    12Akebono-Alberni.gif

20. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I think this should probably be ascribed to Prunus pendula 'Beni Shidare', which is very common in Vancouver.

21. Ron B

Jacobson, North American Landscape Trees lists P. x subhirtella 'Beni-shidare' as a synonym of P. pendula 'Park Weeping' (but not P. pendula 'Pendula Rubra', which he describes as "Common"). Kuitert, Japanese Flowering Cherries uses P. pendula 'Beni-shidare' as a sort of group name (with P. pendula 'Rosea'* and P. x subhirtella 'Pendula Rubra' (see below) listed as synonyms): "Some variation is seen in trees of 'Beni-shidare' in collections, and a deep pink form from Tama, Tokyo, formed the basis of the following description..."

*Listed by Jacobson as P. pendula 'Pendula Rosea' and said by him to be paler than P. pendula 'Pendula Rubra' (syn. P. x subhirtella 'Pendula Rubra')

22. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  23. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - Ranchos

The Ranchos on Davie have blossoms now, though the trees don't give the impression of pink yet from any distance.
    20080322_Davie_Rancho_Cutler_0804sn2.jpg 20080322_Davie_Rancho_Cutler_0811.jpg 20080322_Davie_Rancho_Cutler_0797.jpg

These Shirotae aren't the best looking trees (!), but I'm fond of this first photo from last year because I was a novice cherry scout and here on Burrard near Davie is where I met VCBF Team Sakura's Joseph Lin (pictured), and we both started to tell each other about Shirotae and the VCBF festival! The second photo is from yesterday, and maybe there are flower buds hiding in amongst those leaves, but it wasn't obvious. The similar trees around the corner are gone now. [edited by wcutler 20090717: these are gone now too.]
    Cutler_20070328_01.jpg 20080322_Burrard_Shirotae_Cutler_0800.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  24. Ron B

There's more than one colunnar Sargent cherry grown in the west, I wouldn't call a planting 'Rancho' without reviewing the characteristics of these first - or having some basis for knowing it was that particular one (like nursery labels hanging from them or planting records at an office) - maybe that is the case here.

'Shirotae' is prone to cherry bark tortrix, if these have it there should be signs of boring. When the larvae are active in a tree they make surface holes from which "sawdust" comes out.

25. wcutler

Here's another shot of the Accolades at the Aquatic Centre, taken from the Burrard Bridge. The nearest tree on the left is a Whitcomb whose blossoms I've been photographing all winter. [edited by wcutler 2011jan15: the Whitcomb has been removed, after being damaged in a storm last year.]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011