1. Kim H

Kim H Member

Hello , can anyone tell me the correct way to transplant a gunnera. A friend of mine wishes to cut hers back and has said she will give me a piece , not sure when the best time etc. is to do this ? Thanks, Kim in Nanaimo.

2. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

Best to divide in the Spring. They like leaf mold, with lots of peat, planted into a deeply dug hole. These plants EAT water,they like some of their roots down near the water table. I have moved them throughout the seasons, with few problems, as long as their basic requirements are met. Cover the plants with their own leaves,bracken fronds,leaf litter.... for Winter protection in cold areas, not usually a problem in Nanaimo.

3. Kim H

Kim H Member

Thanks very much, hopefully I can get it to grow in my yard.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Kim H ... if you're ever on your way to Coombs, check out the large row of Gunnera at ArrowSmith garden center. It's on the left side of the Alberni Hwy heading west. This will give you an indication of how big these will get.

Cheers, LPN.

5. WetPac

WetPac Member

Re: gunnera, big ones

Nah, go to the south entrance of Cedar Road south of the Nanaimo airport. Follow it north past the Chuck Wagon market (Yellow Point Road southern terminus). Continue north. On the right not too far there will be a serious Gunnera. Way bigger. As a bit of advice, do not ask the owner for a cutting.

Pic is an even larger one. Do not know the location.

WetPac

Attached Files:

6. rosemary marsh

rosemary marsh Member

Thanks for that information on Gunneras but I still don't know where to cut it to divide it. Do you need the root that's in the soil or do you just cut off a part of the main plan and then plant it. Thanks and happy gardening.
    Rosemary Marsh

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

You'll have to identify a growth point (crown) where new leaves emerge. A sharp flat shovel will work to separate the division from the main plant. Pot up and keep well watered in a semi-shaded location.

Cheers, LPN.

8. rosemary marsh

rosemary marsh Member

Dear LPN
    Thanks for the info about the Gunnera. My husband actually bought it from someone else who had a huge plant and he said he just had a shovel and cut off part of it and said to plant it but I didn't know what part to cut off but I'll look for where the new leaves arrive and just chop off that part with a flat shovel and plant it. Thanks again for your help.
    Love Rosemary