Identification: Need some help IDing these mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Narcio, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Narcio

Narcio Member

Any guesses as to what these mushrooms are?

These were picked in grass, on/near very old decayed wood that is kind of at the border between a grassed area and a treed/bush area in Southern Ontario around Oct 2nd I believe.

The spore print is just showing up as white.

I tried to put some of the spores under a microscope and they looked very round but I'm not sure on the dimensions (no slide with a scale or scale built into eyepiece with my current microscope.) To compare, I did the same thing with spores of some sort of bolete I found, and it had very elliptical / long spores. I've never looked at mushroom spores in a microscope before though. I just rubbed the gills of the mushroom on a slide then put some stain and a slide cover on it. I could see lots of little round smooth looking "blobs" fairly clearly using 400x.

They don't have any particularly distinct odour.

These pictures also seem to make them look more brown/orange than they actually appear in daylight, where they look more white gray with just a little bit of brown on the caps.

I tried to ID these using National Audubon Society Field Guide to Mushrooms, but I couldn't decide on anything conclusive. You can probably tell that I'm far from an expert so if I should include any other info feel free to suggest it.

Thanks for any help!
    -Nick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. Narcio

Narcio Member

My best, very amateur, guess so far on this is the Lyophyllum decastes or fried chicken mushroom as some call it.

What do you think?