Grape vine no longer producing grapes

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Ssccott, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Ssccott

Ssccott New Member

I have a grape vine that used to produce plenty of grapes. I moved, and brought it with me, transplanting it in the winter to a good sunny spot along my south facing back fence. It's growing up onto the fence, but hasn't produced a single grape since, and it has been 4 to 5 years.

Is there anyway to jump-start it into producing grapes again?
    I tried letting it grow. I tried cutting it back. I tried watering it. I tried not watering it.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Did you move from a markedly different climate? Are you pruning it the same way you used to?

3. Ssccott

Ssccott New Member

No the climate didn't change.

When I transplanted it, of course I had to cut it back just to make it a manageable size. It grew back quickly the next year, and I pruned as per usual, but as I said, no grapes, so I tried not pruning. Nothing. The last two summers I decided to let it grow more again and not prune. Nothing. I mean, 5 years and no grapes... I don't get it. I know grapevines that grow completely unattended, basically wild, up onto trees and produce tonnes of grapes.