Resourses identifying grape varieties

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Sharon S, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Sharon S

Sharon S Member

I have just helped friends prune over 50 vines of wine grapes at their recently purchased home in Sacramento, CA. Unknown varieties, at least two different I could tell by differences in the spurs and vines. Anyone know of good (narrowed) online source to search for pictures of leaves and eventually grape clusters to help us identify or narrow down the possibilities. So far I'm guessing Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Last year's "raisens" : small sized grape bunches, similar cluster type but some with two seeds, others with single seed. Thanks for recommendations- Sharon S

2. mkplant

mkplant Active Member 10 Years

There is a book on identifying grape varieties, "A Practical Ampelography" by Pierre Galet. It is full of pictures of grape leaves and would likely be in the library in a place like Sacramento because it is a standard reference. You could google ampelography which is the study of grape vine identification and see if there is anything useful on- line but I suspect that a book would be the most likely resource.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for the new word! Learn something every day...