1. rosemary marsh

rosemary marsh Member

Hi everyone
    I've tried for the last few years to grow Foxtail Lilies. I ordered the bulbs from Veseys and they were very expensive but only one came up but it never bloomed and didn't come up the following year. I love tall flowering plants in my garden and I've seen other people with lovely Foxtail lilies in their garden but maybe it's my soil or I'm also thinking the moles might be eating the bulbs. We have had a problem with moles so perhaps I have to give up on the Foxtail lilies. All the other lilies I bought though came up and have multiplied like crazy so I'm not sure what happened to the Foxtail lilies. Thanks for any help in this regard. I live in South Surrey, B.C. and I'm still waiting for my banana tree to come back to life. It was huge last summer with lots of babies but like I said previously we have had a very cold winter so hopefully I will see life soon. The two stalks that are left are short now but hard so I think the corn is still alive, at least I hope so. Bye for now.
    Rosemary (The Foxglove Lady #20

2. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

It's not the moles, they are carnivores and eat only worms, grubs etc. They don't have the teeth to eat vegetation like bulbs, tuber, or roots. I have purchased Foxtail lilies from Veseys myself with no success either. I'm still trying to figure out why all my other lilies grow so well but not these.

3. rosemary marsh

rosemary marsh Member

Dear MannieBoo
    Thank you so much for the info. Someone told me that moles eat bulbs so that's what I thought had happened to my Foxtail Lilies but obviously they were wrong. I thought it was strange that they would only eat the Foxtail Lilies and nothing else so I guess Veseys doesn't sell very good Foxtail Lilies. Perhaps I'll try buying the bulbs from a nursery around here and see if I have better luck. Veseys sure charged a lot for those bulbs so it is very disappointing. Oh well. Let me know if you manage to grow them at some point and how you did it. Thanks so much.
    Rosemary (Foxtail Lady #2)