Pony Tail Palm

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by BJE, Apr 26, 2006.

1. BJE

BJE Member

I Have Read Postings About Cutting The Top Off This Plant And Am Ready To Take The Plunge. My Questions Is How Far Down The Trunk Can I Cut The Plant? My Plant Is About 10 Feet Tall And 25 Years Old. About Half Way Down The Trunk The Points Where The Leaves Came Off Are Still Darker Then The Same Points Farther Down The Trunk. Can I Cut It Off At This Point? Also Should I Do Anything To Seal Or Steralize The Cut After It Is Made? This Plant Has A Lot Of Sentimental Value And I Would Hate To Loose It. Last Question - Can I Do Anything With The Part I Cut Off? Will It Root?

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, Why don't you airlayer the top and then you can have two trees. Now the thing is that some trees will bud (grow new branches) under the lowest existing branch if you cut below it, but some won't, so you need to find out if yours will (what kind of tree is it?). You can avoid the question altogether if you cut above existing branches, but if you want to airlayer the top, cut a 1" wide band around the trunk (wherever you want it, keeping in mind the above possibility). When you reach the green cambium under the bark, scrape that off with a knife. Dust the band with hormone rooting powder and blow off the excess. Take a good sized wad of sphagnum moss (the long whitish tan fibrous stuff you'd use to line hanging baskets), soak it in water, squeeze it out so there are no drips left, and wrap the banded area with enough of it (all around, of course) to stick out about 3 inches, and about 2+ inches below (5" tall mossy area x 3" deep). You'll need another pair of hands if the tree's diameter is anything more than a couple of inches, and maybe even less, because one needs to hold the moss in place while the other wraps saran wrap around it - not tightening, just enough to support the moss in place. Then tie something (strong cotton string, or plastic, etc.) at the top and bottom of the lump to keep it in place, and this time do tighten the ties so no water gets in (or out) of the area, but do it in such a way as to make it possible to loosen the top one once or twice to redampen the moss (trickle a little water all around) and tighten again while you're waiting for roots to fill the moss (they'll be white against the moss's tan color) if the moss appears to have dried through the saran (or other suitable clear plastic). Once there are roots filling the moss out to the plastic, VERY carefully remove the plastic, being careful not to disturb the roots, tho' it's ok to very gently draw the moss away (and discard or keep for future use). Cut the tree just below the roots, plant the new tree top, and water well til winter. And if you're lucky, the original tree will have started growing new branches below the cut. The process can take months, or even a full year, depending on the tree, so don't give up.

3. BJE

BJE Member

Wow! What Great Information. I'll Give It A Shot. I Plan To Do It When It Goes Out For "summer Camp" In 4-6 Weeks.