Ornamental Orange Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Susie Q, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Susie Q

Susie Q Member

I had bought an ornamental orange tree last spring which florished over the summer and fall months with orange blossoms. My plant is getting loaded with oranges almost the size of Tom Thumb tomatoes however my question is when should I expect to see these Green oranges turn orange. Any ideas?

2. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

Hi there,
    I read something on a website that said: As far as the oranges, you probably have a species that requires coloration through ethylene gas. This can be accomplished by harvesting mature, but green oranges and placing them in a bag of apples. Apples are good producers of ethylene. Do this at room temperature and the oranges should turn color in a few days.
    Let me know how you get on, sounds strange to me but it may well be worth a try!

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

With enough fruit on the tree, and enough good light, the oranges will probably turn orange on their own.

Depending on the variety, this may have happened in the few weeks just after the first post, so Christmas time. Some oranges in my area, where there were once many orange groves, are still plump and orange and ready for picking, although the peak for Valencias has passed this late in the season.

Oranges will remain on the tree until they rot much of the time, so keep an eye for shriveled orange peel, or for soft spots and fruit flies, could be cottony white or blue green mold, too.

If there are any edible citrus one way for a home grower to tell is to gently loft the fruit in your palm and note when it feels heavier for the size. Very subjective. I know it when I feel it... It's like holding an apple and knowing it is crisp rather than mealy, or picking the broccoli with the tightest buds. A learning process, in other words. If htis is truly meant to be ornamental, the fruit will probably be bitter or sour or both.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Oh, the ethylene gas from apples in a paper bag is true. I think all ripening fruits will give off ethylene, but apples do in abundance. This is also the reason one puts unripe avocado in a paper bag. The ethylene gas it produces will be trapped in the bag and hasten the ripening. You could actually bag the fruit on the trees, but that kinda detracts from the ornamental aspect. Unless you have really cute paper bags...