Help with a Norfolk Island Pine

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by SMVH, Mar 12, 2007.

1. SMVH

SMVH Member

I purchased a Norfolk Island Pine during the holidays. She was about 3 feet tall in a nice-sized pot. Soft, fluffy. I had her outside until it became very cold, though she was out there for a couple cold days. I brought her inside. Here in the dry winter months (NJ), which forced-air heat, she started to dry up, losing all her softness. I hacked her down completely, as in reading, she was dying that slow death anyway. I had also read that the rootball may still be alive, so cutting her down was my last resort. Is there any hope for the three 1/2" diameter, 3" high stumps poking out of the soil? She seems to be taking in water, as the soil dries out rather quickly.
    Or, am I caring for a plastic pot of dirt? It was such a beautiful tree.

Thanks in advance.

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

The Norfolk Island Pine is of tropical origin and any parts exposed to freezing or below freezing temperatures are toast. The dry indoor air didn't kill it, only dried out the dead tissue faster. With no foliage to transpire water, the pot is drying out due to evaporation only.

Conifers like the Norfolk Island Pine typically don't have the capacity to start new growth from old woody stems as they lack the required dormant buds. Even if it is able to regrow from the 3" of stem remaining, it is not going to ever have a desirable shape and regrowth will be slow. I suggest you turf it and start again.

Simon