Appreciation: Electric Lawn Mower not working anymore.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by vicarious1, Jun 21, 2012.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hi I have an electric lawn mower (a first in my life) "NOMA super light" I got 2nd hand from folks that had gotten a fuel one. It worked fine no problem for 5 years. We have a small lawn only like 14m x 6 m
    The other day I hot a small rock(maybe the kids from the neighbors threw it when playing) My mower stopped. I thought maybe the security feature stopped it from restarting. As I was nearly done I did not stress and said it will start again next time
    Today it started ( slow on a low 10sec ) and then died down again 100%.
    Anyone out there has some advise? I am not much of an electrician and buying a new one is really what our budget can do in the moment.
    Thanks for any gardener out there who knows the feeling :-)

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Did you trip the breaker in the house?

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Ahh, NOMA. I've been electrocuted by a corded one, and had a friend lose a toe to the techno-terror that was the 'Flymo'.

Anyhow, might be the shear pin: it breaks under stress, and stops the mower (thus protecting the motor/wiring from overload). Perhaps the first rock sheared most of it off, and the motion from the second start caused the rest to break, hence the brief restart. Not all mowers have them, though, but it's a possibility. If you're somewhat handy, you can do it yourself. Otherwise, it's a shop job--in this case, worth remembering the mower itself is probably only worth around $50.