New to grape growing

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Debra L, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Debra L

Debra L Member

Hi, I live in Midwest U.S. on the tip of Nebraska /Kansas /Missouri border. I have a grape vine that is possibly 100 years old it was planted by my husbands grandmother. I have been here for 14 years and just found and started pruning this vine a year ago. I went out yesterday and started cutting back the vines as I am starting late.

I found that there are small grape clusters on the vines there has never been anything on these vines before that I have found when cutting them back. These were small green clusters on some and others with not much or any on them. I cut off some of the clusters with no grapes or if they were some that had many cluster in the same place so to thin them. I am new to grape growing
    but I am one of these people that have a green thumb and can grow anything.

Plants seem to love me as much as I do them if it has a seed or can be started from cutting, bulb,or other I am growing it my yard my house are all full of plants flowers ect. and now working on grapes. I am not sure what kind of grapes I have found but my husband said his grandmother used to make jelly and that the grapes were blue. So as I said I am new to grape growing would anyone know what kind of grapes I might have here and can they only be used for jelly or can I make wine to? I also have elderberry's growing class and can make something with them together please let me know if anyone knows what kind of grapes I am growing. Thanks,

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Debra, welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful if you could post some photos of your grape vine/grapes. As a rule, your post will get more replies if you post photos so people can see what you're talking about.....

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Where are you located? If you are in the eastern part of North America, a blue grape is most likely Concord or a related variety. Concord grapes can be eaten fresh, made into excellent jelly, jam, or juice, or made into wine; although kosher wine is the only commercial type that I've seen made with Concord grapes.

4. Debra L

Debra L Member

Thanks for your comment, I did think a picture would help as well. I have my granddaughters visiting this week so I will get a pic as soon as I can and post it. Thanks

I am in the very Center of the U.S. in N.E Kansas bordering state South-east NE. Missouri. The gapes I have are green and have not had anyone do anything top them for at least 30 years. I am attempting to bring them back to life.I will post a pic as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012