Inherited Orchid ... help it's dying!

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by bhavana, Sep 3, 2007.

1. bhavana

bhavana Member

I recently inherited 2 orchids from a neighbour. One is a Phalaenopsis Taisuco Windian x Tinny Diamond and the other is a Golden Treasure x Brother Golden Potential. The Phal. seems to be doing okay though my neighbour cut the spike off at the bottom so I'm not sure if it will be okay in the future. The Golden Treasure however isn't doing well. Some of the leaves are yellow and limp. The spike of this one was cut off as well. Does anyone know if the orchids will survive if the spikes are cut off or what I can do to save the Golden Treasure? Any and all help saving these plants would be much appreciated.
    Bhavana

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Removing a spent spike is quite normal. Once the inflorescence has died, there is no value in leaving the spike.

You didn't specify how you are growing your orchid so we've got little to base a response upon. An occasional yellow leaf is not uncommon, but if all are turning yellow it would appear there is a problem.

The first thing I'd recommend is go buy some new potting media from a good orchid supply and repot the plant that is failing. Probably best to repot both. Orchids should be put in new media each year since fungus and other detrimental elements can build up in the old media. Orchids do not grow in "media" in the wild. They grow attached to a tree branch or limb with their roots simply hanging. But in captive growth, the media helps to give the plant a constant supply of moisture.

That new media should be kept constantly moist. Misting the plant may also help. Add a small amount of orchid fertilizer (perhaps 1/4 teaspoon) to a spray bottle. Remember, these are rain forest plants. They love to be damp and humid. Your plants will also appreciate bright indirect light. Most new growers often give them inadequate light that is insufficient to allow the plant to thrive. Since you are in Canada, keep them away from a cold window when winter sets in.

Orchids are generally easy to care for if you are willing to give them what they need to thrive. I'm giving you a link which may help with other advice. Once you read this, you may have additional questions. There are several very good orchid growers on this board that give excellent advice.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/caringforyourorchids.html

3. bhavana

bhavana Member

Thanks alot Photopro. Right now the orchids are in front of a window that doesn't get direct light but is quite sunny. I am planning on setting the orchids up on a bed of stones to increase the humidity. I was under the impression that the spike should be cut down only to the last new branching but I'm extremely glad to find out that this is not the case and removing the spikes will not harm them. Thank-you very much, hopefully they will improve soon.
    Bhavana

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I always hate to loose one, but it happens. Take care and this one may well reverse itself.