Phalaenopsis orchid-Is it dying?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by ciaoalice, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ciaoalice

ciaoalice Member

I have bought a phalaenopsis orchid (typical purple one) a month ago and since last week the flowers have started to shrivle and fall off (there are only two of them left-dry and dead)..In addition in the last few days i noticed that it started not to consume the water i was giving to my orchid (and its really hot here-33C...Its been 2 days and most of the little water i put is still there) and the ends of the stems have started to become yellowish brown (and dry)...Is there a way to save my orchid??
    Is it dying out? And when is the blooming period of a phalaenopsis ?
    Thank you so much for your help.. A.C.

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Sounds like it's just the end of the bloom cycle. It's more important now to concentrate on providing good growing conditions so that your Phalaenopsis is healthy and blooms again. I know you have been having some hot weather lately but these plants originated around the Phillipines so that's not a problem. The basics are light (eastern exposure if possible, more shade if exposure is southern), water (plant should be moist but not soaknig wet, roots firm and white/green) and fertilizer is generally recommended as being 1/4 strength (weakly weekly). When my Phals are in bloom I usually move them to lower light conditions to prolong blooming. My Phals bloom more than once a year and spikes are usually started by slightly cooler nights (not cold, these are tropicals). With minimal care this an excellant houseplant and will provide years of enjoyment.

Shaun

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Excellent advice!