fruitless pear tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by vivienne, Oct 25, 2009.

1. vivienne

vivienne Member

hi, im new today so bare with me while i get the hang of this great site.
    my question is i have 2x 4yr old pear trees that look really healthy but as yet no flower or fruit its aprox 8ft tall any sugestions as to why its not floweing or producing fruit , thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No flower = no fruit, may still be too small yet. "2x" means the stock has two named cultivars grafted onto it? If on a fully dwarfing stock then yes, flowering should have started well before 8' tall. But that does not mean it is certain that it won't soon start blooming, took longer than usual for some reason. Otherwise it should be checked to make sure you are not just growing the rootstock or other seedling, the grafts having been lost at some point (or never being present, as would be the case if seeds were taken from a fruit from a grafted plant and raised as a named variety by mistake).

3. vivienne

vivienne Member

ty ron the graft is still there on both trees but i will b patient for another year and wait to see , other fruit trees i planted at the same time r doing well and fruiting its just the pear but thank you for the reply . viv

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you have been cutting it back much that may be interfering with formation of mature, flowering wood also.