Turning already

Discussion in 'Maples' started by patdero1, Sep 27, 2014.

1. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

I looked up today at my freeman maple and it's starting to turn. In the far right is a blood good. I'm in south east Pennsylvania. Ill post some more pic of my young collection of japanese maples soon.

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Lovely! I've noticed a few leaves on mine turning too: Filigree seems the furthest along, but it also got that cold N wind when we had the cold snap a couple weeks ago. Shinju also has a few leaves that have started turning. I'm really hoping for a nice slow cool down this fall; last year I would have - finally - had a lovely show, but we had an early, and very hard, freeze, which ended up blanching everything.

That being said, my Summer Gold has decided that now is a good time to start pushing new growth, lol. One branch has grown a good 6-8" in the past 10 days, and the leaves on it are HUGE, nearly double the size of the leaves on the rest of the tree. I'm hoping it will harden off properly before we get cold...

Attached Files:

3. patdero1

Your are looking great! Ill post some in the morning my Jordon looks real nice.

4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

WOW!!!! The Freeman maple great picture well taken shot superb backdrop of the open sky and base sunlight you must post another pic in a few weeks this will be stunning.

In the UK we are way ahead of you in the fall colour change stakes, i have over a dozen trees which have completely turned and dropped and were still only in September.

Also a pic of a new tree which i aquired earlier this year Viridis Olandense or Green Globe,was a little bit reluctant to buy this as i already have four Viridis and was concered that the colours would be much of a similar appearence. Totally different in shape very upright tree super green colour with pastel pink shading in the summer and now turning a beautiful fire orange with yellow edgings very pretty.

Attached Files:

5. patdero1

Very nice they look great!

6. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Roebuck, nice show of colour, gardens looking stunning

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Cheers jaybee63, did you manage to get up to Derbyshire at all ?

8. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

No, not yet, it's been full on and work and I've been trying to convince the wife to take a break in the peak district, this still needs some work, but will happen.