Trident maple bonsai

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AmbroBonsai, Sep 3, 2014.

1. AmbroBonsai

AmbroBonsai New Member

Hi every one I recently acquired a beautiful old trident maple it's about a week that it's been in my hands and the leaves seam to have burnt and they are not in full sun the tree gets sun from 6am to 1-2pm can anyone help

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Welcome! That is a lovely looking tree :) And the leaves actually look quite good, at least from the picture.

A few questions: Did you get it in the pot, or did you pot it? If you got it in the pot, do you know how long it's been in there or when the soil was last changed or the roots pruned? How often, and when, do you water? Was it shipped to you, or did you buy it locally?

If you repotted it when you got the tree, then what is most likely happening is that it is going through mild shock/stress due to the transplant. Same would go for shipping. The drainage for the soil looks good; how long does it stay moist between waterings (ie, may be a little too well-draining possibly)? Another possibility is that leaves can begin to show stress by late summer/early fall, accounting for some singed edges (same thing happens with strong winds).

3. AmbroBonsai

AmbroBonsai New Member

It was shipped but this is my first trident maple and I'm not quite sure it's requirements and I water daily because of how well the soil drains and the roots are well established I did not repot it I am waiting till this spring.

Attached Files:

4. AmbroBonsai

AmbroBonsai New Member

Any one know the cause of this discoloration on my tridents leaves ?

Attached Files:

5. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

In your climate, I would continue to give it the same amount of sun as you indicated in your first post. Also, the burned tips are likely a result of the stress it experienced during shipping, plus acclimating to a new environment; I wouldn't worry too much at this point. :) Watering sounds good, as does your repotting next spring.

Where you have it situated, how exposed is it to the wind? Wind can cause burnt tips as well (ie, strong, sustained wind; light breezes are fine).

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't do bonsai, but I think one way or another this is a watering problem. Either too much or too little, the symptoms are similar. I've had tridents in pots (seed grown) that do this when they get too wet.

Your exposition seems fine, the tree could even have more sun with no problem. I have various varieties/cultivars of buergerianum growing if full sun here and very happy, although I don't doubt the Quebec sun is much stronger than that in Normandie.

-E

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I second that: my first impression was "too much watering". The soil seems to be an excellent mix, but maybe some fine particules have fallen at the bottom of the pot and keep moisture there. In any case, I'm sure that it will be all right, especially if you repot it next spring.

Very nice tree.

8. AmbroBonsai

AmbroBonsai New Member

Thank you very much I will follow your advice