newly planted acer discolor leaves symptomatic?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rezi206, Sep 5, 2014.

1. rezi206

rezi206 Member

I planted an Acer discolor early last spring. It's in a fairly sheltered location, easily kept moist. It gets a couple hours of morning sun, filtered shade, then perhaps 2-3 more hours direct sun in the late afternoon.

It has had outstanding growth thus far. Numerous branches with nearly 75cm new growth.

The only problem may be the leaves. After hardening with maturity they are curling to some degree. Is this a symptom of the roots struggling to provide enough water to the tree yet? Will this condition ease with time?

I could post pictures if needed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Welcome to the forum. Most likely a new transplant issue, but if you post pictures you might elicit some more detailed and specific advice.

3. rezi206

rezi206 Member

Thanks. This forum kept popping up in Google searches and there seemed to be knowledgeable people here. The tree seems to be doing well, it just doesn't have the qualities of trees I looked at online.

It grew so fast, which I wasn't expecting the first season, that it's bursting the fence I put around it to protect it from dogs being walked.

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  4. rezi206

rezi206 Member

Better shots
    IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Rezi,

The curly edges makes me think it's got a lot of nitrogen, did you fertilize?

Otherwise there can be a bit of leaf variation, see http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=35819&highlight=acer+discolor if you haven't already.

A. discolor is an enthusiastic grower that likes full sun but adapts to a variety of conditions. Seems to do well on reasonably poor acidic soil although can show some chlorosis if soil is too nutrient poor.

I have several currently growing in both pots and ground, but I haven't seen the leaf condition above. Still it doesn't look too serious to my eye.

-E

6. rezi206

rezi206 Member

I haven't fertilized, but the I purchased the property a year ago, so I couldn't guarantee that the soil hasn't been altered. Curious you mentioned that though because the grass near the tree is much more lush than the rest of the yard.