Donations

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Silver surfer, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

This was tucked away on Botany Photo of the Day, for 23rd June 2010. May I suggest it it put at the top of these forums, where it is more clearly visible, so that any one who may wish to make a donation to support these forums can do so by specify it.

Quote.... "Lastly, some commenters in the past have expressed a desire to donate to Botany Photo of the Day. We now have a mechanism where you can give directly to our new Online Education Fund. I know there are many other worthy causes in the world, but if you feel like chipping in, it'd be appreciated. Gifts would initially be used to help hire a student via the University of British Columbia's work-study wage subsidy program in the autumn. A gift of 20 dollars is roughly subsidized the same amount, so it would translate to approximately 40 dollars available for hiring a student."

https://www.supporting.ubc.ca/onlin...p=S972 Botanical Garden Online Education Fund

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/potd/2010/06/mertensia_paniculata.php

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks -- I had planned to make a similar announcement on the forums eventually, but wanted to set up a space for it somewhere -- perhaps in the sidebar. Will do so sometime in the next couple weeks as I catch up.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Would a "donate via paypal" type button be appropriate? I imagine having to go through a five step process and registering a credit card etcetera might put off some people who would otherwise donate something, for example a person who was grateful for having some plants ID'ed, and wanted to express their gratitude, but also wanted to do it quickly.

P.S. I mean in addition to the existing system, not as a replacement.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, unfortunately that wouldn't work -- otherwise I would've done it a long time ago.

All donations to the garden go through central UBC development, hence the somewhat convoluted system (still, it is better than before). I can see their perspective -- it allows them to monitor and ensure all the checks and balances are in place.

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ah ok, but it does seem strange that an organisation would close off a potential stream for donations.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Alrighty - the donate now button is in place at the upper part of the righthand sidebar.

When the announcement was made on Botany Photo of the Day a couple months ago, a number of generous people gave almost enough to cover a 10hrs/wk student position to help with BPotD from Sept - Apr (and I'm only waiting on paperwork now to confirm that hire).

Once that position is fully covered by donations, the next allocation of funds (unless the director decides otherwise for a special online education project) will be for a student to help 20hrs/wk from May-August 2011 with BPotD.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Who will then be the Botany Student of the Day.

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think the (not) poor SOD who lands that job will consider him/herself lucky to have it and will come up with a better abbreviation than you're indicating.

9. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thanks Daniel.

It look good and clear.

Hope it will raise more funds for BPotD AND these forums.

Just one small point. When ever my screen opened on the forums, I was able to see at a glance the BPotD, now the donation square has pushed it down below the bottom of the screen. Not a problem to existing member who will scroll down to look for it. However, it may mean new members miss it. Could the Hardiness zone map info etc, be placed below the pic of the day?