when to repot cacti?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Chester, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I've just purchased two small rebutias, which are planted in (for their size) quite large plastic pots. It doesn't look very nice. I would like to plant them in smaller terracotta pots, but usually do such things in spring. Would it be a huge no-no to do repot them now? I've slowed/stopped the watering except for the very occasional misting in the morning, so I would think they would be entering their 'dormancy' about now. Any thoughts?

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Go with your better judgement on this. Spring would be the best time to repot. However, if the plant is overpotted, the soil will stay wet to too long, if/when it is watered...and you risk root rot. Somehow, I think you already know this. So, if you or whomever does the watering can show some restraint, then repot in the spring.

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the reply. My judgement says to wait until spring. They look like they are dormant to me, and I don't water through winter. Just a bit of misting with a bottle to mimic dew. Well I shall look forward to the repot anyway.