Orchid-when to transplant

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Dutchie, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Hello Orchid enthuisists,

Just getting started in the orchid growing market. I recently bought a plant with one of the roots hanging outside of the pot. Is this an indication of a need to transplant? The root is solid and firm, plant just finished blooming.
    Also wondering when or if you are supposed to prune the stem back after blooming. Do they grow new stems?
    Looking forward to working with these beauties!

thanks all!

2. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    What kind of orchid do you have?

Whether you prune back the flower stem depends on the type of orchid you have. If you have a phalaenopsis (search on the internet for some pics to match your plant), then you can cut the stem above the highest node. A node is a triangular green shape attached throughout the flower spike. Then you can expect your phal to give out a flower spike from the existing one. Don't expect a bountiful bloom this time. If you want to see larger flowers and full fledged spikes, cut the spike at the base. This way the plant can save energy to put into the next spike.

If you have an oncidium or any orchid other than a phalaenopsis, cut the spike at the base. These spikes do not do anything after the flowers fall off but start yellowing off.

Ok, I can generalize with all, if not most, orchids that if roots grow out of their pots it is all right! Phals and oncs enjoy to grow roots out of the pots--it's their habit because of growing as ephiphytes on tree branches in their native homes. All other orchids like that too. Repot once every one or two years depending on the condition of your pottting mix (is it rotten yet? All potting mixes have a lifespan!). Best time is spring or when the orchid puts out new leaves/pseudobulbs.

Don't feel the urge to repot when you see lots of roots everywhere. It's safer to underpot than overpot. If you notice your pot is about 95% roots and only a few specks of potting mix, it's time to repot. Or else, your orchid probably just prefer hanging roots in the air rather than growing in the potting mix. It's normal. And one root is more than normal! Don't worry for now...

Good luck!

3. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Greenleaf,

Thank-you for your response. I do in fact have a phal orchid and some other kind that was not blooming when I bought it, however it will be a nice surprise when it blooms again (I think it had 3-4 small white flowers on the stem). I mark your comments on the pruning and on the repotting. At the very least I will wait till spring till I reassess.
    Thanks again. happy plants!
    Dutchie :)