M. 'Elizabeth' pic

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Gordo, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Taken in my garden today, Magnolia 'Elizabeth' (M. acuminata x M. denudata), reportedly, the first yellow hybrid available. This cross done in 1956 by Evamaria Sperber at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. In years like this, when flowering occurs before the leaves are fully out, it is particularly attractive.

Magnolia 'Elizabeth' 3.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Eve worked at Wells-Medina nursery, Bellevue, for some years. The tree was named in 1977 after Elizabeth Scholtz, a BBG Director. 2 clones have been sold as 'Elizabeth', only one is the true item.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Any hints on how to tell the true from the false, Ron? Gordo's (if photo is true colour) looks a little less yellow, more cream-coloured that the Elizabeths I have seen in nurseries this spring, where they are also blooming before leaf-out and are indeed eye-catching.

4. Ron B

Quickly going to nearly white is usual. I haven't noticed 2 clones myself, but I have read that the common one may be the wrong one. The original may be rare.

The Kosar-DeVos hybrids, from the U.S. National Arboretum are said to be mixed up in commerce as well. I continue to see stock sold here simply as "Magnolia stellata Hybrid". The named saucer magnolia cultivars are also partly a mess, with distinctly different ones being sold under the same name, descriptions not fitting what is beng grown (named forms of Robinia have this same latter problem)--the more prevalent introductions are old, sometimes dating back to the 19th century so there has been plenty of time for this situation to have developed.

Recently I saw a local outlet displaying what appeared to be a Kosar-DeVos Hybrid as Magnolia x soulangeana 'Alexandrina', thus achieving a new level of confusion (in my experience).

5. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I saw some at GWorks today, definitely more yellow (not sure if the real thing) but still very nice colour and scent.

6. Ron B

Precocious magnolias vary in pigment with weather and apparently other factors (my 'Vulcan' has never been red, purple ones are also seen in nurseries yet I have seen a few local examples that were red); plus it is usual for the common type of 'Elizabeth' to open yellow and fade markedly, as do most rhododendrons, which have a bud color and a flower color.

7. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I've had some trouble capturing the true coloration of the blooms with this camera - perhaps just lighting or an ISO issue. To my eye, the blooms do appear more yellow in coloration; beginning a clear yellow, fading to cream, then ultimately to near white. I think the rhododendron comparison Ron made is a good one - many gardeners are familiar, for example, with the bloom buds of R. 'Unique' fading from pink/yellow to a washed out cream color. The best color comparison I could make for the initial yellow coloration of M. 'Elizabeth' is with the yellow Warren Berg rhododendron 'Patty Bee'.
    I purchased my M. 'Elizabeth' about 8 or 9 years ago, prior to the flood of new yellow hybrids seen in local nurseries, and I'm still quite pleased with this tree.

'Elizabeth' branch.jpg

8. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Another pic. May be best to enlarge pic fully to see colour and floriferousness.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2007