Help Identifying

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by scottl, Apr 28, 2007.

1. scottl

scottl Member

I have what I believe is some kind of magnolia, Im trying to nail down exactly what variety it is. It could be that it isnt even a magnolia. Im not really that knowledgeable about this sort of thing. Ive included a picture of it.

There are few characteristics of it that I haven't been able to attach to any magnolia descriptions Ive come across. It loses all its leaves in the fall. As of right now it is full of flowers but no leaves. The spring flower buds formed in the late fall. It will flower several times a year. At least twice, once in early spring and then in the fall. The flowers do seem to fit well with the description of magnolias. It does not bear any sort of fruit. It seems to be fast growing to me. It has gained 6-8 feet of height in the two years we have lived at the house with it. Its hard to tell the scale in the picture but it stands ~15' tall right now. I keep the branches trimmed above head height, 6 or so feet.

Any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

• tree.jpg
      tree.jpg
      File size:
      447.6 KB
      Views:
  2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes magnolia. Very nice. Can't ID. One called 'Heaven Scent ' puts out a light second bloom towards fall here.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Saucer magnolia. Very common, many kinds. Some are unnamed seedlings.

4. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

try www.magnoliastore.com

h.a.oudijk