Ponderosa Lemon

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by rudell, Oct 7, 2008.

1. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

2. Xochipilli

Xochipilli Member

Please accept my apologies; I did not try to mislead anybody.
    Here is some High School Chemistry jargon.

Genetics and Molecular Biology
    Print ISSN 1415-4757
    Genet. Mol. Biol. vol.30 no.3 suppl.0 São Paulo 2007
    doi: 10.1590/S1415-47572007000500009

BIOCHEMICAL PROCESSES, RESEARCH ARTICLE
    Nitrogen assimilation in Citrus based on CitEST data mining
    [Let’s remember that Nitrogen makes more than 70% of our atmosphere]
    “Assimilation of inorganic nitrogen present within the atmosphere into carbon skeletons is fundamentally important to plant productivity, biomass production and, especially, cultivation income. Nitrogen deficiency in plants is considered to cause a decrease in photosynthetic structural compounds, like chlorophyll and ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase (rubisco), which leads to a reduction in photosynthetic capacity and carboxylation efficiency (Delgado et al., 1994)â€
    “Nitrate corresponds to the dominant nitrogen source available for plants, since ammonium is quickly nitrated by bacteria in soil [if you do not use sterilized soil]. Only when nitrification conditions are unfavorable, like in acidified soils or due to the lack of aeration, can NH4+ be the main available form…
    The carbon and nitrogen assimilation metabolic systems are interconnected; nitrogen assimilation requires carbohydrates to produce energy and to provide carbon skeletons. While nitrate may accumulate in vacuoles, ammonium ions are toxic [My Bold] and have to be rapidly assimilated into organic compounds (Chaillou et al., 1994).

All inorganic nitrogen is first reduced to NH4+ before it is incorporated into organic forms…This metabolic system is regulated at different levels by many factors, including nitrogen source and light [My Bold], in order to adjust nitrate assimilation to the plant's needs. Nitrate acts as an elicitor inducing the transcription of nitrate transporters and NR/NiR genes (Hoff et al., 1994; Forde, 2000) and regulating their expression together with light [My Bold](Bouton et al., 2002).
    “The nitrate's reduction capacity in the chloroplast is considerably higher than it is in the cytosol, partly because the enzyme has a high affinity for nitrite. This is relevant due to the fact that nitrite may intoxicate the plant cell, causing chlorosis when accumulated in the plant… In wild-type plants [My Bold], the regulatory mechanisms that control NR activity are thought to assist in preventing nitrite accumulation (Crawford et al., 2001).

So, dear Millet; take a walk in the wild side (Lou Reed). You might find trees that are not yet, being fertilized.

Dear Ponderosa lovers, I though the purpose of fertilization was to ensure proper development of the tree, not the current fruit yield.

I suggested to take it easy during winter because:
    “Experiments with N labeled fertilizer applications showed that the highest N-uptake rate occurred during fruit set and that in winter the uptake was very lowâ€. Agricultural Research Organization, The Volcani Center, Bet Dagan, Israel. No. 1770-E. 1986 series.

3. rudell

oh oh weighed 4 grams=4.5 tablespoons per gallon ...something is not adding up here...

4. Futura

Futura Member

That can't be right. I just weighed one teaspoon of that same fertilizer and got 3 grams. (Annoyingly the only scale I could find so far does not do decimals so I will have to assume a range of 2.6-3.4 grams.)

Check your weighing methods I guess because that does not sound possible.

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

rudel, 4 grams of your granular fertilizer is about 3/4 tsp. - Millet

6. rudell

I guess my scale is wayyyyyy off ....thanks again

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Xochipilli, there is no reason to apologize. There is certainly a lot to learn about how to properly grow citrus, especially citrus in a container, as growing a tree in a container is not natural. There is a wealth of information on this forum, if one wants to learn he can do so by reading. I apologize to you for my previous response, it was rude. I have deleted it. Take care, and the best to you and your tree. - Millet

8. Xochipilli

Xochipilli Member

Thanks for accepting my explanation.
    You might want to know, why I did not suggested organic fertilizer. I tried some before I brought my trees inside. Because of the cold I closed the windows and the central air kick in. I know you are already smilingthe smell was unbearable after the first watering. So, I am going to stick to jumbo-size wafers 20-10-5 make it impossible to over-stimulate or burn your trees (Miller Nurseries). I already used them with my figs and I got a good share of fruit.

Dear ponderosa lovers:
    If you want to stop dealing with volume/weight, and metric, or English system take a look at this site.
    http://mgonline.com/houseplants.html

I copied this from his website.

Too much water is the #1 killer
    Too little water is the #2 killer (neglect)
    Where do people get the notion that plants can live and grow well with no food / fertilizer?...
    The only liquid fertilizer I ever use is on African violets. They seem to demand that special food. Liquid fertilizers build up salts rapidly and over time damage or possibly kill your house plants. Every other house plant I own gets time released pellet fertilizer

Once again I played on trees, which have their roots exposed by erosion but digging into the river. Running water is good, but stagnant water in a flower pot, is another story.

9. rudell

Here's an update with my ponderosa lemon...doing great...flowers buds like crazy..has about 6 lemons but no leaf growth? is the temperature right??

Attached Files:

10. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Temp looks good. And I think I have read before that when flower production is on the go, leaf production slows right down, so maybe it is just waiting for the next flush of growth?

11. rudell

ok...my ponderosa is still in a 3 gallon container...garden centre just called and says it got some EXPANDED CLAY in and wants to know if I want it for my ponderosa as I've been after them to try and find something.