Planting Depth for 3" Hedging Cedars

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mraymond, Mar 21, 2007.

1. mraymond

mraymond Member

I am looking for some possible suggestions or any advice on planting hedging cedars.

Background Info:
    I am located in Abbotsford B.C. I am living in a Condo that has an underground garage, this garage extends out the front of our building. This leaves only about a foot to a foot and a half of topsoil before we hit cement again. We had 3 ft hedging cedars planted last year, but they did not make it through the dry summer. At that time we did not have an automatic watering system in place. We are installing a watering system and our next step is to replace the vegetation.

I am wondering if the 1 -1.5 ft of top soil is enouph to sustain the hedging cedars long term. We will be keeping them under 4ft. If so do you have any planting suggestions.

If it is not a viable option, do you have any other plant species reccomendations that would work in this situation while providing the privacy as hedging cedars do?

Any Input is appreciated.

Thank You

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Should work fine, as long as water does not back up into root zone and keep it soggy.

3. Don Ho

Don Ho Active Member

Is the planting space a narrow strip of ground, or is the soil perched atop the concrete?