Plant problems

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by anywho9090, Sep 30, 2006.

1. anywho9090

anywho9090 Member

Hello, I am a novice when it comes to plants but I do love to learn. My neighbor has some wild flowers growing in his garden and some of the plants have leaves that seem to be rotting. He knows I love learning things so he asked me to do some research for him.

One type of plant has leaves that have holes in them The holes have a white line around them and brown around the outside. Another different plant has what looks like dark brown spots on them and the brown gets lighter in color as it moves away from center.

I also have some photos.

I am interested to know if this is a 'living or non-living' problem and how to treat it.

I also apologize if this is too novice a question.

TIA

-anywho

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  2. smivies

smivies Active Member

The two plants you have photographed are not 'wild flowers' at all but fairly well domesticated ornamental plants. The first is a Peony surrounded by Impatients & weeds. The second photo is of Impatients with possibly an Oregano plant in the lower left.

The peony is a perennial and this late in the growing season, the leaves can be affected by various fungal diseases in the cooler, wetter weather. The plant will naturally die back to the ground sometime in late October, probably after a hard frost. Nothing to worry about or treat.

The impatients are an annual of tropical origins and will wilt and die at the slightest hint of frost. Again, the cooler, wetter weather does not agree with impatients and leaves them vulnerable to various fungal diseases. Nothing to worry about or treat.

Hope that helps
    Simon

3. anywho9090

anywho9090 Member

That is good to know... I will pass it on to my neighbors and I am sure they will be happy to hear that. Thanks so much!