New Blue Atlas Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Shrinksjp, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Shrinksjp

Shrinksjp Member

One and a half weeks ago, I purchased a 6 foot atlas blue cedar. I live in Philadlephia and I planted the tree in a large pot that holds 50 lbs of dirt (evergreen). It is placed in an eastern exposure and I have watered it daily. It has also rained a good bit the past couple of days. I notice many needles on the ground, both brown and blue, but the tree still looks great right now. Is this a problem?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Transplanting may have been a shock and it is adjusting. Sounds as tho you are very generous with water. Soil should be damp but not soggy. I take it your eastern exposure is not too hot when the sun shines. That is house walls or fences. It may be a very different environment to the one it had in the nursery so as I said may be adjusting.

Liz

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm guessing that's a good call, Liz.

You need to make sure you have good drainage and the soil should be a bit porous, not too compact. Roots need air as well as water.

Eastern exposure should be good for its first summer, not sure if it will be enough sun for the longer term.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Do not allow the pot to freeze up solid in winter.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's going to need a much larger pot. You need something holding a tonne or more of soil if you want it to develop at all well.

Resin

6. Shrinksjp

Shrinksjp Member

Thanks for all of the advice. Liz, I think I did overwater and it poured the last couple of days. That could be the problem as well as adjusting to the new environment. I will investigate the moisture below the surface. We also had very strong storms th epast two days and the pressure of the rain and wind might accoutn for some of the needle fall.
    Ron...I was wondering about winter care. Any advice as to how to actually care for it during the winter months? In Philadelphia, we have been having rather mild winters with one or two snow storms.
    Michael...the person in the nursery stated that the size pot was sufficient if I did nto want it to grow huge. Not sure if he was correct, but that cannot be the problem right now.
    Karin...the soil seems to have good drainage and this soil was the one chosen by the nursery for evergreens. The sun exposure is from very early morning to early afternoon.
    Again, thanks to everyone for the help. It is a beautiful specimen of its type.

7. dcsteg

dcsteg Active Member 10 Years

As Ron says: "Do not allow pot to freeze up soild in winter." If you do you will loose it. If you are in for a prolonged hard freeze you can wrap pot in tarp leaving enough free air space to burn a 100 Watt light bulb. It will supply enough heat to ward off freezing the root system. Depending on the size of pot and area to be heated you will have to see if one bulb is enough. Do a temp check.

Dave

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Top can be pruned to control size if you know how, one in a garden near me has quite a thick trunk for the size of the top. In addition, can be unpotted and roots shaved periodically (replacing shaved off outer layer with fresh potting soil) if kept in small enough container to be manageable.

With bonsai both the top and the roots are pruned annually to maintain miniaturization, you can keep your tree small for years with similar techniques.

9. Shrinksjp

Shrinksjp Member

Thanks again for the great tips, Dave and Ron. I will save your advice. If the tree gets trimmed at any point, it will be done by the arborist that trims my magnolia and crimson bonsai.