mystery berry tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by joanne6, Jul 10, 2005.

1. joanne6

joanne6 Member

Hi, I have this berry tree in my front yard and I am not sure what it is. The berrys look like blackberrys yet they are on a tree and there are no thorns. Guests tend to eat them and I have to stop people because I have no idea what these are - if they are even poisonous. Can anyone tell what this tree is?

Attached Files:

2. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

Looks like a mulberry tree.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks to me more like it's growing out of a cliff ;)

Yes, it is a mulberry, and the fruit are edible

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Weeping mulberry.

5. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

lol!!! :D

6. Nellie Pawlak

Nellie Pawlak Member

I have what looks like the same tree in my yard. Has it been identified?

7. joanne6

joanne6 Member

Hi, yes it has been identified. It is a weeping mulberry tree and the berries are edible.

8. vinman

vinman Member

Yes, this tree is a mulberry tree. The berrys are edible I have eaten many of them in my life time.

9. cindie

cindie Member

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me, how big (tall and wide ) do these grow?

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Comparatively small, often only shrub sized after some years of growth. Two local (USDA 8) records from the book CHAMPION TREES OF WASHINGTON STATE by Robert Van Pelt are

3'7" X 13' X 12' 1993 Lakewood
    3'2" X 16' X 15' 1995 Seattle

(Circumference X Height X Crown Spread, Date Last Measured, Location)

11. Nellie Pawlak

Nellie Pawlak Member

Mine has been identified as a mulberry tree and it is already about 8 feet tall.

12. thegtrzan

thegtrzan Member

Hi everyone,
    I just registered today in response to this thread. I have a very similar tree in my yard that I really need to identify soon. For the first time in ten years of living here the tree has has born fruit. The berry on it looks very similar to the one shown here, but they grow in bunches in scattered clumps throughout the tree. The one other BIG difference that I note from the descriptions given here is size; this thing of mine is absolutely HUGE! Its at least 60 feet tall and equally wide, branching up and out from several large trunks around 12 to 14 inches in diameter. It has a very annoying bud stage each spring and they drop for weeks. The buds themselves look kind of like the berry although smaller and are green and rather fragile. The leaf is spear shaped, about 3 inches long by 2.5 wide, with a fine serrated edge.
    Here is my main issue with this tree; my two dogs seen to think the leaves in any stage, be they green, yellow in fall, and even rotting in the compost heap, are doggy treats made especially for them! Doesn't hurt them in any way (and believe me I tried everything to make them not eat the leaf; not a chance). They also munch the buds I mentioned with the same enthusiasm.
    But now I am really worried about the purple berries on it. They are just starting to drop this week. They are a blackish purple and stain my hand bad when I pick them up. They sure look edible (fear not; I'm not trying one until I know what it is that's for sure). So far the dogs haven't eaten any berries. I have stayed out with them when they go out and scan the yard for them first. This could turn into a major problem however, so I really need to identify it soon. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Anyone have any ideas on this? I will get a camera and post some pictures later today (after I figure out how to upload them on the site).