Identification: Large brown mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by jimweed, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Attached are two photos of a few mushrooms that have grown in a neighbors front lawn. Would anyone be able to identify these? Locals in the South Surrey Sunnyside Park area have long been threatened by root rot. Could these specific growths ever aid in this threat or do they just grow off the dead roots below the surface? Thank you in advance for any identification. Have a great day....Jim.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

These look like fruiting bodies of Schweinitz's Butt Rot Phaeolus schweinitzii, presumably growing from the roots of a nearby tree. If so then yes unfortunately this does mean those trees are being eaten.

If you know anyone who is into dyeing with natural materials, this is a useful find from that point of view.
    I once carried a specimen around for part of a hike, and later had a brown stain on my fingers which would not scrub off for three days after that. Which was interesting but sort of embarrassing at work as it just looked like very dirty fingers.

cheers
    -frog

3. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Thank you so ever much for the information Frog. Funny you mention staining, it took me a bit of scrubbing to get the brown off my hands just from a few minutes of handling it.