Identification: My Bamboo

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Dede, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Dede

Dede Member

A friend gave my 4 tiny stalks of bamboo for Christmas with no directions other than put them is stones and keep water on the so they grow roots . All of hers died ,all of mine have lots of leaves ,the stalks are approimately 1/2 inch in diameter and they have tons of roots on them now. My question is do I keep them in stones and water or do I pot them is soil now ? I have 14 plants in my apartment and I've always been able to keep them alive and multiplying in fact when my family has plants that look dead or need repotted they give them to me. I don't want anything to happen to these bamboo plants can anyone help ?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The plant you described may be Dracaena sanderiana, commonly known as Lucky Bamboo, which is not a bamboo at all. I'm sure a Google lookup will provide you with the necessary cultivation requirements.

3. Dede

Dede Member

Thanks

Thank you for the reference on the Dracaena , it was very helpful it's nice to have a site to ask questions about plants , I love plants , particularly different ones for my area and sometimes it's hard to find care directions for them.

4. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Member

this has been useful- I have been trying to find information about my "bamboo" for ages, not realizing that it is not bamboo at all.
    thanks!