Winter shooting bamboo

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by LPN, Jan 18, 2006.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I was in the garden this morning having a look during our mid winter here. I spotted a couple of my bamboo sending new culms. Phyllostachys aurea 'Holochrysa' (pictured below) has 7 new culms, the tallest of which right now is over 3 feet and some just emerging. Also with new culms is Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Alata'. There could be more but I didn't look ant further. Anyone with bamboo might want to have a look at theirs. They might find similar happenings.
    P.S. Is there not a bamboo forum here or did I over look it?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm.. a bamboo forum is not a bad idea. I see there are enough posts to warrant it.

I'm planning first weekend of Feb to try and make speed improvements to the forums. If that is successful, I'll add it as a forum.

3. LPN

Thanks Daniel for considering a bamboo forum. I'm sure it would gather a great deal of interest.

Also spotted my Ph. bambusoides 'Castillon' with new 6 foot culms today. With this winter flush and a spring push, these should put on some real growth this year.

4. Erica

Erica Active Member

You're right! My bamboo is starting to grow ,too. It's only January and it looks like your picture. It's extra exciting for me because I rooted it off my dad's plant last year and nothing happened- I thought it died. But it looks like this might be it's year!

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Another thing that happens is that late shoots from previous year stalled by cooling down of weather in fall will hang on without withering immediately.

6. LPN

"without withering immediately" ... Surely this is unrelated to this particular instance? These are healthy strong culms and show no signs of any withering. Should I be under the impression these are at risk of withering based on what you've said?

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I haven't seen any new shoots yet, and I have just been out inspecting the 10 specimens in our property. Maybe, there is just not enough sun. It's been raining everyday for 36 days straight here.

I would really support the idea of a bamboo forum. It's only in the last 2 years that I realise the extent of the interest in bamboo growing in the Pacific North West. The other option is to have a "Bamboo and ornamental grasses" forum, seeing that the activity on the Ornamental Grasses forum is rather slow - inclusion of bamboo in that forum will move the gear up a notch.

8. LPN

Well, 36 straight days of rain!? Wow! That's gotta be a record of some kind. We just had two mostly sunny days recently (Friday & Saturday) here in my region of Vancouver Island. Terrain plays a big part in where rain falls and how much.
    Of the 15 or so bamboo I have, about 5 are and have been pushing new culms. Others that aren't shooting are showing rhizomes that are active along the surface. Cheers.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good idea, Weekend Gardener.

10. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, Daniel. Don't mind if I invite fellow bamboo enthusiasts to this forum?

11. Daniel Mosquin

They would certainly be welcome.

12. LPN

By all means ... bring on the bamboo enthusiasts!