Any idea what this one is?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Paulina, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    This was grown from seeds taken out of a round hard wood gourd size thing we found on the beach in Mexico. When I planted the seeds, only one germinated, and this is what came of it. It grew very fast and loved tons of water. The leaves were fuzzy and thin.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some kind of curcubit, such as a gourd (various curcubits are called gourds).

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, definitely something in the Cucurbitaceae, but if anyone can pin it down, I'll be impressed.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pinning it down would probably damage the woodwork beneath it. Bada-boomp. Anyway, there may actually be enough development of the plant where in combination with the background information somebody can say what it probably is.

5. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Doing a google image search for Cucurbuitaceae Mexico, I found a quite a few listed. You should be able to narrow the search by location.

If you look at the entries for for the "Fieldguide" in the lower part of the search it lists many species and the location they were collected at. On just a very cursory glance, you might look at Cucumis and Cucurbita genera, but don't limit yourself to them. And the closest match I could see, which doesn't mean there aren't others, was Cucurbita martinezii which was collected in the Dept. of (state?) Veracruz.

Also found Microsechium helleri and Peponopsis adhaerans on a later search of the fieldguide that also resemble your plant. The latter was collected in a forested locale however and doesn't seem to have the definite hairs on the the leaf petioles that yours does.

Harry

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006