Identification: Please identify this flower plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by chibiko, Jan 26, 2015.

1. chibiko

chibiko Member

Please help identify this indoor flowering plant.
    Don't know why it's not flowering anymore and plant became very bushy. Don't have any tag when purchased and cannot name the plant so I don't know know how to take care of it.

Attached Files:

2. Axel

Axel Active Member

Streptocarpus sp. (not S. saxorum but related).

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

We have one of those here at the garden. Streptocarpus (subgenus Streptocarpella--I don't know the species or if it is a cultivar). It is blooming in the front window now. The plant blooms periodically like an African violet. After it blooms a while, it looks stringy and I cut it way back and put it somewhere out of display to regenerate. After some weeks, it puts forth a lot of growth and blooms again. They generally bloom more from spring to fall. Easy to start fresh plants from cuttings. Subgenus Streptocarpus is very similar, but the foliage is basal and usually rosulate.

4. chibiko

chibiko Member

So it's best to cut back the long growing stem and let it regenerate new flowering stem?

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have been watching the plant here in our office bldg., but I don't really know that much about them. Your plant may have a different habit. The plant here comes into nice full bloom periodically. After a nice long period of bloom the stems have lots of spent flowers and look tired. I then cut the plant way back to 15-20 cm. After a while (1-2 months?) it fills out with new growth and reblooms. Your plant looks more like it is coming into bloom. I don't see spent flowers on those branches.

If you do any trimming, try rooting them to get new plants.

6. chibiko

chibiko Member

I have taken your suggestion to trim down the plant since I haven't seen any flowering for over 3 months. Hopefully it'll rebloom with lots of flower again. Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If flowering is affected by seasonal light levels this has been the dullest time of the year. In general flowering house plants need much higher light levels than foliage house plants. This is why we see African violets and orchids placed sometimes rather closely beneath electric lights. Inadequate light intensity can also be responsible for leggy growth habits.