Jade in bloom!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kmoerk, Nov 6, 2006.

1. kmoerk

kmoerk Member

I am new to this forum, and I have to share my great news! My beautiful jade is in bloom for the first time!! I am very excited, and extremely proud. I refer to this particular plant as the "mother" jade, because I have gifted many, many people with clippings from this plant. How wonderful that it has matured enough to bloom?!?! The first bud opened today!!

Katrina

P1010001.JPG

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Nice! How old is it? I hear that they have to be pretty old before they bloom.

M.

3. kmoerk

kmoerk Member

My jade is 13 years old. My mother-in-law's has bloomed once in 46 years, so who knows... I'm trying to figure out if I did something differently this year to promote the flowers, or it was just ready. It's exciting nonetheless!

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Looking at the colour of yours, it's a safe bet that you gave your jade more light than your mother-in-law did. That's good. There is no such thing as too much light for these plants. They really like to roast in the summer.

5. kmoerk

kmoerk Member

And the first flower has opened!! I have never seen jade blossoms before, so this is just amazing for me.... These are beautiful little flowers, very tiny, but beautiful.

Bloom.JPG

6. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Lovely, just lovely. I am so #*mn jealous right now. I've got a mature jade that I would love to see bloom, so am open to any pointers you may have...

7. kmoerk

kmoerk Member

I can tell you what I tried, I can't say that that is what helped it bloom. About two years ago, while browsing various "jade" sites, I found one that recommended two specific things... 1) leave it outside until the weather has definitely turned; tells the plant that the winter cycle should begin. 2) minimize light at night after you bring your plant inside. My jade was always in my living room, so we had the lights on at night, and the plant never bloomed. It is now in my office in a window that faces south-east, and gets tons of light during the day, and I don't do work in my office at night.

Things that were different this year... I pruned about 5 lbs off of it. (filled a grocery bag) I watered it lightly when I first brought it inside, instead of watering it a lot like I usually do...

The only conscious thing that I have changed in my care is the light issue. I refuse to turn the lights on in my office at night... I am honestly not sure which of the above triggered it, or if it was a combination of everything. I hope that your jade gives you TONS of little blossoms. I have this sneaky suspicion that this is a one time deal for me (murphy's law: I can say it bloomed, but it won't do it again)

8. brisko

brisko Member

it's nice.

9. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

These will bloom every year (November to January) if left outside for the frost free seasons of the northern hemishpere.

Cheers, LPN.

10. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Well, I've left mine out for the frost free seasons for the past three years, and it has yet to bloom. I would say that just putting it outside for the summer/early fall is not all that is needed to bring them into bloom...