British Columbia: Soil Testing on Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by janetdoyle, Feb 3, 2010.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I want to continue to keep in touch with local gardeners.

My question is where are the Soil Testing labs on Vancouver Island -- is it done via the provincial government or via private labs, and could someone send me the name and hopefully address of one? Mainland BC is of course a good option, if that is where my samples should go. I have let go the soil testing for too long, merely guessing, or using my store-bought pH tester, and would like to now get this done.

I have found a nice list of labs for BC, here they are:

BRITISH COLUMBIA
    Agrichem Analytical 409 Stewart Rd. Saltspring Island, BC V8K 1Y6; Ph: 250-538-1712; www.agrichem.ca info@agrichem.ca
    M.B. Laboratories Ltd. Mail: P.O. Box 2103 Sidney, BC, V8L 3S6, Location: 2062 Henry Ave. West Sidney, BC, V8L 5Y1; Ph: 250-656-1334 Fax: 250-656-0443: mblabs@pacificcoast.net www.mblabs.com
    Exova (Nor-west Labs) 104, 19575-55A Ave. Surrey, BC, V3S 8P8; 604-514-3322 or 800-889-1433; www.bodycotetesting.com
    Pacific Soil Analysis Unit #5, 11720 Voyageur Way, Richmond, BC, V6X 3G9. 604-273-8226

from website: http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/rcbtoa/services/soil-testing-services.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
  2. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    please note lab addresses and contacts supplied above

3. jacquelinehowse

jacquelinehowse Member

Hi, Janet

Thanks for compiling this list of labs. I was just thinking, myself, about getting my soil tested, but I'm looking more for whether there are toxins present in the soil.

Does anyone happen to know what lab(s) test soil for toxic contamination?

4. roneill

roneill Active Member 10 Years

I know that MB labs can test for heavy metals... I usually go through Integrity Sales out on Keating X Rd but I believe they send the samples elsewhere for testing.

5. jacquelinehowse

jacquelinehowse Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll check these two.