Saffron in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by molyons1, Sep 10, 2009.

1. molyons1

molyons1 Member

I saw some saffron corms the other day, and I quickly snatched them up. I have since done a bit of research about how to grow them, and it seems that in Vancouver, they can be treated just like regular crocus corms--can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? Has anyone grown them him or herself? Do they require any special care?
    I would be grateful for any information, or to hear about anyone's experience with saffron!
    Thank you very much!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've planted Crocus sativus before and had it bloom, but as I remember it the plants did not persist. I think the flowering may not have continued after the first year, as well. This could be why the planting was not long-lived, I may have taken it out due to a lack of flowering - or it died out on its own. May be yet another small bulb that really requires bulb frame culture here.

Note that the unrelated Colchicum has been called meadow saffron, and blooms in the fall, too. Both have been offered at local outlets in the past.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Ron. How does one know which is which. I've been told I have the Saffron crocus. But It seems much to healthy by what I read above. I've been in this house 7 yrs and they were already here, Huge leaves each spring and profuse blooms now. ????? barb

4. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

I've had the same experience as Ron -- I got flowers for a couple of years but eventually they disappeared. Don't know if it's the neighbourhood squirrels or the wrong place, too much water over the winters, etc.

If planning to harvest, you do need to make sure you are planting saffron crocuses instead of Colchicum, BTW. Colchicum is highly poisonous.

keke

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Thank heaven I'm not fond of Saffron so never had the urge to try mine. With my luck it would be the wrong one. It's pretty and grows well so I just leave it there until I need the room for something I like better. ;))) barb

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

"Huge leaves" = Colchicum.

7. Patrick Thirkell

Patrick Thirkell Member

The saffron crocus will naturally die after one year, to be replaced by the corms produced that year. If none come up at all it could be predation or, as you say, wet conditions in their dormant period.
    Keep them dry after flowering and harvesting, but be aware, saffron is poisonous, its high cost is natures way of saying use sparingly - 1.5g can be fatal!
    Saffron flowers in autumn, they will produce up to 8 bobble corms strung in a line, the mother corm dies. It is best to break them up, and re plant 15 cm deep.
    I have a grand research project seeing if saffron could be grown in an aquaponic fish farm for afghanistan, as an alternative to opium, providing Tilapia as a food crop.

8. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Yes,
    I've heard the enthusiasts here speak of this aquaponics as they are doing it here too at what was Malaspina College, now Vancouver Island University.
    Quite a system and glad to hear of your work to promote this idea to feed people good quality protein raised in such an elegant way (so far away around the world -hello there Scotsman :) kudos to you).

D

9. MuddyP

MuddyP Member

I purchased saffron crocus from Odessy Bulb and more from McClure and Zimmerman a couple years ago. I had noticed a fungus on one and tossed it, planted the others with only two or three corms developing flowers. Transplanted them to the bottom of a strawberry planter and didn't notice anything last year, 2010, but noticed the strap shaped leaves this February, 2011. I did decide that buying saffron at the grocers was far more reliable and less expensive, but am visualizing this vast saffron ranch for my retirement. Hummm...

10. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Used to be grown commercially at Saffron Walden in Essex (southeast England), so it can succeed at northern latitudes with the right conditions.

11. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Hang on! If you have ANY doubt about whether you have Colchicum or Crocus sativus don't eat it in any quantity, in my opinion. My ancient plant biochem. taught me that colchicine (one of the bio-active compounds in Colchicum) is both poisonous & mutagenic (chemically allters chromosomes) & in fact was/is used in the lab for that purpose. It may have been used as a drug, but I suspect the risks would be pretty darn high! Why would I even consider eating something like that?

I have Colchicum in my garden, but no Crocus sativus I don't think. I have never made the ID to differentiate the 2 & it would have to be very clear before I would harvest the anthers myself. What a tedious job.

I have not updated my old information & would be happy to be corrected or better informed on any of the above.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years