Japanese Maple Problems

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acer palmatum 'Crazy', May 30, 2005.

1. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Leaf Burn

Hi,
    After reading the post in the 'Butterfly' thread about correct sun exposure, i decided to start a thread with some examples. Of course i get to start with an example of what not to do with a 'Kara su Gawa', LOL.

I have a 'Kara su Gawa' alongside a 'Butterfly'. The K has started yellowing in the leaves facing the most sun. The Butterfly shows no significant burning. I am in the southeast US, where temps can reach high 90's for numerous days in the summer with high humidity. This pic was taken June 1st, when we havent reached 90 yet. So temps really havent been to much of a factor. This coloration shows mostly facing the sun, kinda like a sunburn. It gets full sun from 12 til 4. Just to much sun for this cultivar.

Since there are many reasons why leaves burn up, i thought we could start posting them to this thread. This appears to be an example of an extremely sensitive leaf to direct sun. Not as much to do with other problems such as wind, humidity, etc.

Hopefully others can show other effects. Like the drying winds in california Mr. Shep mentions. One good idea might be to show what to high fertilization especially Nitrogen, can do, as Michael has metioned recently.

I will have post of Japanese Bettle problems within a couple weeks. Regionally they love most of my japanese maples. I also will show the effects of no watering. While working out of town for 2 weeks, the weather stayed very dry here and my wife didnt water quite as good as i would, LOL(I dont know why she doesnt love my 100 maples as much as i do!!!) Five of them had all of the leaves dry up brown. But with a little regular watering (Not heavy) they are already budding out again.

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Pics of sun scorched leaves

Mike,
    shouldn't you call your thread something like 'Pics of sun-scorched maple leaves' for it to be in this section?

Gomero

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey guys, I moved the thread to the Maples Forum. The Maple Photogallery has had only examples of different maple taxons or cultivars so far. I think it is good to have the gallery devoted to illustrating the growth of particular maples. If you want to put images of cultivar problems or examples of improperly grown cultivars in the Photogallery, then they should go under the cultivar name, so other examples can be added. I don't see a Kara su Gawa thread started there. I could move the post back to the gallery under that name or we can continue with a thread on "what not to do with a cultivar" here.

4. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Mike:

I took a look around to see what little problems I am having. They aren't so much problems as I expect them for the most part.

The first is my potted A.s. 'Aureum' that I have in nearly full western exposure getting afternoon sun. As of today, it has survived a couple days last week of over 90 degrees and just a bit humid. As you can see by the coloring, it is on the edge of burn and I will have to move it in the next couple of days. I am quite amazed that it has held out as well as it has.

The second is 'Masu kagami', it is a pretty large tree in a 7gal pot that I got this spring. But even in Northwest exposure, I think the days over 90 and the hot wind got the best of the new tip growth.

The 3rd is A.j. 'Aka omote' that I am growing as a 3rd year plant and I recently repotted. I have had it in full exposure, but at 90 degrees for a couple of days, you can see the margin burn. I think it will need some afternoon shelter, but it might do better in the ground.

The 4th is a recent acquisition I got as a liner and potted up to a 2gal. I have a couple of the A.p. 'Mirte' pictured as well as a couple of 'Yasemin'. With very little root extablishment I am seeing the tip burn with the higher temps here. These are in almost full northern exposure with little direct sun, so these little guys have mostly tip burn as a result of the wind.

The 5th is an Aratama I dug a few days before the temps jumped. The tree is about 6 years old and has been in the ground for almost 2 years. We are moving and I was not about to leave it. I got a good portion of the root system, but not quite enough. When the temps jumped I got a good deal of dry leaves on the outter-most 12" or so of the branches. There are still some non-crispy leaves mixed in, so I am not worried as it will bounce back. If I am lucky, I won't even get any twig die back.

Michael

Attached Files: