Changing Soil in Houseplants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by RZM, Aug 7, 2004.

1. RZM

RZM Member

I understand that one should change the soil of indoor houseplants in either spring or summer. My question is, I have some African Violets that seem to be in bloom most of the time, is it okay to change their soil when they are in bloom or should I wait until there are no flowers?

Which would be best - when there are no flowers or does it matter?

Roxanne

2. Plantsman

Plantsman Member

Potting on housplants

Roxanne,

It really does not matter if they are in flower but I would choose the springtime when the days are lengthening and they are becoming more active in growth. This means that the plant will sooner colonise the new soil with roots which also means that there is less chance of the new soil soil souring or becoming overwet.

I hope by your words 'changing the soil' you don't intend to remove old soil. It is a matter of potting on into a slightly larger pot - beware of overpotting. Fill in between the rootball and the container with your fresh soil. Always pot on a recently watered plant - never a dry rootball, use damp compost and don't water in until the plant requires its usual watering.

Peter

Website

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Roxanne,
    Great advice from Peter. I have found that my African violets do better if I repot them when they aren't in bloom. You might find this site helpful as well.

http://www.ourgardengang.com/houseplants.htm

Hi Peter!!!

Newt