Kiwi Plant Question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Unregistered, Apr 29, 2005.

1. I recently planted some kiwi seeds from a kiwi I bought in the store - and they're growing beautifully... I know that you need a male and a female plant to grow kiwi's - but I was wondering if the seeds in the kiwi are male and female? I know male kiwi plants take longer to grow/mature and some of them are smaller than the others....

Thanks,
    Kate

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I thought the males had more horsepower, after fruiting commences, because the females are using energy on fruit production. Anyway, a given seedling could be either sex. If seeds produced only one sex or the other there would be no more seeds.

3. How do you identify the sex of a Kiwi plant anyway?

Chris

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Chris, you would need to have a close look at the flowers - check out these two photographs: male and female.

5. hi Daniel,
    thanks a lot. I sure hope it will bloom soon.

Chris

6. Lucky_P

Lucky_P Member

chris,
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you're probably looking at a minimum of 7-8 years, maybe longer, for your kiwis to flower. Even those grown from cuttings of known male and female selections, which have already grown through their 'juvenile' phase, frequently take that long to begin flowering.