Pony Tail palm seedlings

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Helenn, May 21, 2008.

1. Helenn

Helenn Member

Hi
    I'm new so hopefully I'm in the correct forum.
    I'm a novice gardener and have just purchased some Pony Tail Palm seedlings.
    I didn't receive any instructions on growing them and was wondering if anyone could advise me where to start.
    It's actually Autumn in Victoria Australia and I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have purchased them.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Thanks

2. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Well, you'll need to keep them sheltered, perhaps indoors, depending on how your winters run. They don't freeze well, though I've had a few make it through.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they should be in well-draining soil and you should definitely take them inside for the winter. keep them in bright, indirect light and water when soil is dry.

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=35058

These are some beautiful Australian "Ponytail Palms" Beaucarnea recurvata.

Check out our Culture Guides and the Photo Gallery. Both of which will have information regarding your Beaucarnea seedlings.

They are a very tough plant and difficult to kill as long as you remember they are native to the arid, scrub forests of Mexico. As mentioned above, a well-draining mix is imperative. Their growth will slow or even stop during times of low light, low temperature, and drought. They should grow outdoors in a high light area, but should not be allowed to bake in the sun as young plants. Once the plant is more mature, it will tolerate more extremes in temperature and watering. Bring indoors when the overnight temperatures begin to drop to 10˚C. Water when the soil is dry. During the summer growth period, you may be watering frequently. During the winter, it may be every few weeks.

Underpotting or keeping them a little rootbound will stunt the growth, but will also grow a shorter, fatter plant. Planting them in the ground or using a progressively larger container will allow them to grow quickly, but they will tend to be taller and thinner. Cutting the main trunk of the plant will often induce branching.

Mark

5. Helenn

Helenn Member

Thanks all. I'll give it a go.
    Regards
    Helen