May be a dumb question...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Goldielox, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Goldielox

Goldielox Member

but are there any grape vines that don't produce bunches?

I bought a house four years ago that had a grape vine planted along the fence. The first three years, nothing happened and I assumed it was dead and considered chopping it down. This year, we've had an overabundance of rain and the vine started growing. So did everything else in my back yard (even things I didn't even know were back there), it now looks like a jungle. Recently, I noticed a vine curling through some of my trees. To me, it looks like a grape vine. But, here's the conundrum. It has what appear to be grapes growing on it but not in bunches. Just one single, solitary whatever it is hanging down from the vine every few inches. This vine is at the very front of my fenceline and the grape vine is about half way back. Because everything has grown so thickly this summer, I haven't been able to track the mystery vine back to see if it's actually coming from the grape vine.

Any ideas? I might try and get some pictures of it if no one can determine anything from my description.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, a photograph, please.

3. ltwayne

ltwayne Member

Does the vine look like this? I have been trying to identify this one. Not sure what it is and I have been looking everywhere.

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plant shown is a curcubit of some sort.

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Cucurbit, or maypop? Leaves are a little wide for a wild passionflower, but perhaps there is some degree of variation.

6. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Plant on the photo looks like Bryonia, so cucurbit, not maypop

7. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

A photo is needed. I don't know where you are located, but the plant in the photo, if the fruits are very small and flowers yellow, might be Melothria pendula.

8. ltwayne

ltwayne Member

I am not trying to take the attention off of the initial question that was asked. For that matter, I am not sure that this is even the same plant until they reply.

I appreciate you helping try to identify mine also. Here is what I found from the internet.. The picture that I took has fruit about the size of a grape. The information that I found about cucurbit was bigger fruit. This is in the pineywoods of Texas area. This vine is growing on a tree about 10 feet high. It is the only one of this type that I have found on the property. The leaves from the Bryonia doesn't seem to match.

9. ltwayne

ltwayne Member

I think you nailed mine down. I looked on the net. It looks identical. The only thing that I am wondering about is the way the fruit turns dark purple. Thanks again.
    -----------
    tipularia A photo is needed. I don't know where you are located, but the plant in the photo, if the fruits are very small and flowers yellow, might be Melothria pendula.

10. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, the fruit turns purplish black. One is growing up a pine tree a few yards from here. Called "drooping melonette" or "creeping-cucumber" or "meloncito" even though I haven't heard a common name around here. Most people probably don't notice it.