Wildflower ID / north California redwood forest

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by M. D. Vaden, Jun 4, 2007.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Last year, I noticed the leaves of this plant, which were very attractive. I was unaware that it had flowers like this, having seen just the leaves.

When coming back from Brookings, Oregon, yesterday, I pulled over to take a photo when I saw these flowers.

Does anyone know what this wildflower is?

Anybody know its range?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Clintonia andrewsiana, native to southwest Oregon and coastal forests of northern and central California. Very nice!

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Apparently the fruit are a bright turquoise-blue, so you might want to take yet another photograph later in the year.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Daniel.

There are a lot of nice flowering shrubs and wildflowers on the drive between the Oregon border and the CA redwoods along Hy. 199 following the Smith River.

It's one of the more interesting wildflower areas I've seen. Seems that something is happening all the time.

Having seen western azalea "fizzling out" about 3 to 4 weeks ago, I was surprised to find many more patches of the fragrant shrub with nice flowers this weekend.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've seen western azalea blooming in August in the Siskiyous, with flowering Cypripedium californicum in attendance.