Propagation: Sprouting seeds need patience

Discussion in 'Maples' started by whis4ey, Apr 30, 2015.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have many packets of seeds in the bottom of the fridge. In 2011 I was sent seeds for Villa Taranto from a member of this forum (apologies ... I can't remember from whom). Only two seeds sprouted. Today I was checking my seed packets and was amazed to find that my seeds from 2011 were sprouting profusely :) Needless to say I am delighted, and have sown them out. Patience is certainly a virtue. The moral of the story .... never throw seeds away .....

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Sam,

It was I that sent you the seeds! But don't worry, I never expect anyone else to have a better memory... ;)

Glad they're sprouting, they make fine seedlings usually, good red strapleafs. I'll attach a pic of one of mine.

You're right, it pays not to give up with seeds. I usually try for 2 years as a minimum. (That's when the mice don't get them, mind you.)

Cheers! -E

3. emery

Hmm, lots of problems with attachments lately. Wish I could drag and drop...

Here's another try for the VT seedling:

Attached Files:

4. whis4ey

Thought it might have been you Emery, but didn't want to identify 'the culprit' in case I offended someone else LOL
    Of the two that did sprout I gave one to sister in law and the other I kept. Must get a pic :)

5. whis4ey

This is the Villa Taranto seedling Emery. It looks good :)

Attached Files:

6. emery

Hey great! :) This seems to be the typical form; I don't have the sense that they're very vigorous or upright.

I'm building a free-standing Japanese maple hedge, from seedlings, planted 11 upright greens this year as a base. The VT seedlings are one of the forms I'm planning on filling in with, I have 5-6 that should be ready to go in the ground in a year or 2, and I've done some more this year.

Cheers, and thanks for the pic. Always nice to see seed or plants from Les Souffrettes growing elsewhere!

-E