A strange place to live?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Houzi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Recently moved a couple of 10 litre containers,one with the remains of a dead maple in it,the other just dirt.Found ants had taken up residence inside them.They were full of tunnels and there were spoil heaps around the bases...never had this before.So I moved them out of the way to a secluded corner.
    Anyway,I've been moving my tiny Mikawa around each day,trying to give it maximum sun to get as much growth as possible.Each time I do there are lots of ants underneath the pot.Now this seems a silly place to build a home as it is regularly flooded and structurally unsound being a gritty mix.What on earth are they up to?

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

3. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

Sounds to me like your not trying to get rid of them, just curious as to what they are doing. Eating something? You will have to spend a day on your hands and knees following them. : )

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I have something similar happen each summer with various pots - maple, conifer, and other plants. If it really gets to be bothersome, or I don't want the ants taking up residence in that particular pot, I either spray the bottom with ant spray (I have a more organic one that works fairly well) or I get out the "I mean business" malathion. With the malathion, I dilute it as per the label, then get an old, small paint brush and 'paint' the bottom of the pot. Any time an ant goes in or out of the pot, it will kill them, and it lasts a long time. I don't like to use the chemical unless absolutely necessary though - but it does work.

5. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

You're right Charles,I didn't want to get rid of them,just curious.Y'know what Andrea,mentioning ant spray...I completely forgot about ant powder which I have.That should keep them away if I have issues in the future.......curioulsy they have vanished as quickly as they came.Perhaps they didn't like what they found in there or I'm wondering if at some point I inadvertently plonked the pot on top on an ants nest entrance...anyway was just curious as I've never had them nest in pots before cheers :)